[comp.mail.sendmail] Where to start with sendmail

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (02/05/91)

When running SunOS 4.1.0 (or 4.1.1) and trying to set up sendmail for
the first time, what are some of the things that I need to check in my
sendmail.cf to be sure they are right?  Is there some additional
tutorial material out there besides the Sun docs?
--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27@cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (02/06/91)

lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:

>When running SunOS 4.1.0 (or 4.1.1) and trying to set up sendmail for
>the first time, what are some of the things that I need to check in my
>sendmail.cf to be sure they are right?  Is there some additional
>tutorial material out there besides the Sun docs?

I was asked that question so many times that I wrote a little cookbook note
for setting up SUN sendmail.  This is for a IP-only site w. access to a DNS
server.

/pbp
=======
Written  3:17 pm  Jun  7, 1990 by paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu in uiuc.general
	Note title: Configuring sendmail on SUN-OS 4.X

You say you just bought yourself a new SUN workstation?  Great!  But a
SUN does not live on cycles alone.  To be truely wonderful a SUN needs
a working mail system.  That means editting /etc/sendmail.cf .

Was that a tremor running down your spine?  Fear Not.  I'm from CSO and
here to help you.

Assume for the following examples that your simple hostname is glock
and your domain is heaven.uiuc.edu.  The fully qualified domain name (FQDN)
is then glock.heaven.uiuc.edu.

The easiest setup is to copy /usr/lib/sendmail.subsidiary.cf to
/etc/sendmail.cf .  Then use one of the following procedures.  Procedure 1
has no host specific information in it.  It can be used on any machine
properly configured in /etc/rc.boot and /etc/rc.local.  Procedure 2 ignores
any information in the /etc/rc* files and hardwires the host and domain
information.

====== Procedure 1 ======
1) Edit /etc/rc.local and set the YP domain to your IP domain:

domainname .heaven.uiuc.edu

  The leading "." is necessary to prevent sendmail from converting it just
  .uiuc.edu .

2) Edit /etc/rc.boot and set the host name to the FQDN:

hostname=glock.heaven.uiuc.edu

3) Edit /etc/sendmail.cf and change the greeting macro from

Dj$w.$m
   to just
Dj$w

4) Reboot the machine or issue the hostname and domainname commands by hand.

====== Procedure 2 ======
1) Edit /etc/sendmail.cf and add the following lines after the Podunk comment:

Dwglock.heaven.uiuc.edu
Cwglock.heaven.uiuc.edu glock
Dmheaven.uiuc.edu

2) Change the greeting macro from

Dj$w.$m
Dj$w

====== Common Procedures =====
A) Either verify that some machine will act as mailhost (try "ping mailhost")
   or hardwire in the name of a smart mail relay.  If your department does
   not have a smart relay (no mailhost), use Foo.Bar.uiuc.edu instead:

DRFoo.Bar.uiuc.edu
CRFoo.Bar.uiuc.edu

B) Kill any running instance of sendmail.

C) Test address recognition.  Invoke sendmail in address test mode:

/usr/lib/sendmail -bt

   Run the following address forms through one at a time.  The leading 0
   is the starting ruleset.  Each address should resolve to "user" using
   the "local" mailer.

0 user
0 user@glock
0 user@glock.heaven.uiuc.edu

D) Verify out-going addresses are correct.  Use the -v option to Berkeley
   mail to check that the return addresses are correct.  If -v doesn't
   work with your mailer, use sendmail direct.

mail -v nobody@arpa.berkeley.edu < /dev/null
   or
/usr/lib/sendmail -v nobody@arpa.berkeley.edu < /dev/null

--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910