[comp.mail.sendmail] Resolving internet numbers

doug@seismo.gps.caltech.edu (Doug Neuhauser) (02/07/91)

I am running sendmail 5.61/IDA and find that my mailer is not handing
incoming mail addressed to:
	user@[131.215.65.1]
where 131.215.65.1 in my internet address.  I get the following message from
my sendmail, which indicates that it is trying to connect to itself.
>>> HELO seismo.gps.caltech.edu
<<< 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local
554 <user@[131.215.65.1]>... Service unavailable

1.  Is this my problem or the problem of the sender?  It looks like the
rulesets that should be parsing this incoming address are:
	3, 0
The following comment in my ruleset 0 that appears to indicate that it is the
job of the SENDER to resolve this address to a hostname.  ( I don't know who is
responsible for the comments:)
# For numeric spec, you can't pass spec on to receiver, since rcvr's
# are not smart enough to know that [x.y.z.a] is their own name.

2.  If it IS my problem, how should I handle it?  What rules can I use to
resolve an internet address into a hostname (so that it can recognize that
it is its own address) without hard-wiring my internet address(es) into it?

Doug Neuhauser			Div. of Geological and Planetary Sciences
doug@seismo.gps.caltech.edu	California Institute of Technology
818-356-3993			MS 252-21, Pasadena, CA  91125

In article <1991Feb6.234120.16485@nntp-server.caltech.edu> doug@seismo.gps.caltech.edu (Doug Neuhauser) writes:
>I am running sendmail 5.61/IDA and find that my mailer is not handing

  You may be running 5.61 with the IDA patches, but the SMTP greeting
indicates you are not using the IDA configuration package.

>incoming mail addressed to:
>	user@[131.215.65.1]
>where 131.215.65.1 in my internet address.  I get the following message from
>my sendmail, which indicates that it is trying to connect to itself.
><<< 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local

>1.  Is this my problem or the problem of the sender?  It looks like the

 Both.  Strictly speaking, it is your problem.  Your sendmail is responsible
for recognizing all forms of your own host's name.

 However, since such a high proportion of sendmail configurations fail this
test, in self defense no sendmail when sending with a numeric address should
assume that the recipient sendmail will properly recognize it.

>The following comment in my ruleset 0 that appears to indicate that it is the
>job of the SENDER to resolve this address to a hostname.  ( I don't know who is
>responsible for the comments:)
># For numeric spec, you can't pass spec on to receiver, since rcvr's
># are not smart enough to know that [x.y.z.a] is their own name.

 That looks like a standard comment in the Sun distributed 'sendmail.cf'.
It is half right - most receiver's are not smart enough to recognize their
own address.  But there is no reason they can't.

>2.  If it IS my problem, how should I handle it?  What rules can I use to
>resolve an internet address into a hostname (so that it can recognize that
>it is its own address) without hard-wiring my internet address(es) into it?

 You don't have to hardwire the Internet address.  You do have to have
proper PTR records in your nameserver, and be able to recognize the name
returned as local.  (Right now your PTR and A records are not complete
matches).  If you want to see a way of doing it properly, check the latest
IDA rulesets.  While you are about it, why don't you pick up and install
the complete 5.65+IDA package from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940