[comp.mail.sendmail] Return-Receipt's

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (02/07/91)

I have compliled successfully and USE smail3.1 PL18 on my unix-pc.  But
I noted that smail doesn't automatically generate a return receipt as
other systems do, and wondered if someone has resolved this issue?

I saw some sample postings from a good friend of mine and he has tried them
but has had no success.

It would be nice to see if this could work.

THANKS

--
--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP

In article <58@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>I have compliled successfully and USE smail3.1 PL18 on my unix-pc.  But
>I noted that smail doesn't automatically generate a return receipt as
>other systems do, and wondered if someone has resolved this issue?

It's been brought up before and the general conclusion was that the
easiest way to do it was to write a shell script to look for the
receipt request and generate the response.  Then add a transport to
smail to pipe the message to this program (see the uux definition
in the transports file to see how to pipe to a program).  Then just
add this transport as a "shadow transport" to the existing local
delivery transports.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

In article <1991Feb09.213935.11104@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <58@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>>I have compliled successfully and USE smail3.1 PL18 on my unix-pc.  But
>>I noted that smail doesn't automatically generate a return receipt as
>>other systems do, and wondered if someone has resolved this issue?
>
>It's been brought up before and the general conclusion was that the
>easiest way to do it was to write a shell script to look for the
>receipt request and generate the response.  Then add a transport to
>smail to pipe the message to this program (see the uux definition
>in the transports file to see how to pipe to a program).  Then just
>add this transport as a "shadow transport" to the existing local
>delivery transports.
>
>Les Mikesell
>  les@chinet.chi.il.us

I have done something like this here at ddsw1, and have of course also put
it on a few other systems :-)

Basically you do as Les says.....  I did it with a little script that also
inserts the contents of a given file into the return receipt (nice for
"customized" receipts).

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]