[net.games.trivia] Old Game Shows

drew@ukma.UUCP (Andrew Lawson) (08/07/85)

In article <3390@decwrl.UUCP> tortorino@hamstr.DEC (Sandy @The Puzzle Palace, DTN 264-5977) writes:
>I think J.P. Morgan also appeared on another game show (perhaps more than
>one, but this is the one I liked), but I can't remember the name of it.
>The 'star' was Nipsey Russell, and the object of the game was to come up
>with a suitable rhyming line to end a two-line poem.
>
>Anyone else remember this 'classic'?

Yes, I remember this.  The name was Rhymes and Reasons.  Nipsey Russell once
closed the show with one of my favorite poems:
     Never buy a waterbed for your child
     or your life will be very grim
     You'll never know if he's wetting the bed
     or if the bed is wetting him.

Drew

jlp@faust.UUCP (08/13/85)

{}

Another of Nipsey's Couplets:

    I'm a bachelor
    and I'll stay that way
    until the right girl comes along;

    But while I'm waiting,
    I'll keep on dating
    the ones that I know are wrong.

Jerryl Payne
...!ihnp4!inmet!faust!jlp

cde@cornell.UUCP (Carl Eichenlaub) (08/21/85)

Speaking of old game shows, does anybody remember "Video Village"
from about 1966 or so?  It was on Saturday mornings, I think, and
was sort of a live board game.  Contestants moved from space to space
according to the throw of a large die, and had opportunities to play
games for cash or prizes at each space.  At around the same time there
was a very similar show with a slightly different layout.  This second
show may have been played exclusively by children.  Does anybody remember
the name of this lookalike show, or any details of the small sub-games?
I remember one (not sure on which show) that seemed rather silly even to my
12-year old mind, called the "Sword of Damocles" where the contestant had
to guess whether the sword would fall or not.  These shows were among
my very favorites as a child.  I even had a home version of one!  Anyone
who can remember the television theme songs to either must be a true
trivia phenomenon.

Carl D. Eichenlaub

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (George Jetson) (08/23/85)

Newsgroups: net.games.trivia
In article <50@cornell.UUCP> cde@cornell.UUCP (Carl Eichenlaub) writes:
>Speaking of old game shows, does anybody remember "Video Village"
>from about 1966 or so?  It was on Saturday mornings, I think, and
>was sort of a live board game...

Sure!  It was more like '64, though.  Remember the "Village Bus"?  At the
end of the show, the host would drive the contestants around the set in
this weird overgrown golf cart!

>At around the same time there
>was a very similar show with a slightly different layout.  This second
>show may have been played exclusively by children.  Does anybody remember
>the name of this lookalike show, or any details of the small sub-games?

That was "Shenanigans", which indeed *was* just for kids.  I actually
applied to be on it!  I don't remember any of the games, though.

>...Anyone who can remember the television theme songs to either must be a true
>trivia phenomenon.

I remember some of the VV theme (or at least what they sang at the end):

"Climb aboard the Village Bus, the kooky Village Bus
 ... so come along with us...
<another line>
 ... so much fun to ride the Village Bus
 The Villllllllaaaaaaaggggggee  Bus!"

alatto@bbncc5.UUCP (Andrew Latto) (08/23/85)

In article <50@cornell.UUCP> cde@cornell.UUCP (Carl Eichenlaub) writes:

>Speaking of old game shows, does anybody remember "Video Village"
>from about 1966 or so?  It was on Saturday mornings, I think, and
>was sort of a live board game.  Contestants moved from space to space
>according to the throw of a large die, and had opportunities to play
>games for cash or prizes at each space.  At around the same time there
>was a very similar show with a slightly different layout.  This second
>show may have been played exclusively by children.
I've never heard of Video Village, but the kids version was called
Shenanigans. I don't remember what the subgames were like on the show,
but in the home board game version there was tiddly-winks and lots
of 'draw a card from the approporiate stack and do what it says'.
>Anyone
>who can remember the television theme songs to either must be a true
>trivia phenomenon.

I remember the tune to the Shenanigans theme song, but not the words:

sol do  la sol.   la la sol la sol mi do  la  fa mi
She nan i  gans!  ?  ?  ?   ?  ?   ?  She nan i  gans!

(The initial sol and final la are below do; everything else is above it.
Is there a better or more standard way to notate music in ASCII text?)

Does this help anyone else come up with the words?
							Andy Latto
							alatto@bbn.ARPA