[comp.mail.sendmail] UUCP re-writting help

wrl@wdl1.wdl.loral.com (Bill Lewandowski) (02/23/91)

Hi,
I need some help,

One of our uccp connections wants to receive their mail in domain
format. They also want to see the return address in domain format.
We modified the .cf file as follows. The problem is that sendmail
complains about no "!" in a uucp envelope (deliver.c).

Question: Can someone look at this message and extract from my
uucp mailer and see what I can do to get the "correct" bang
paths in the uucp from line but leave the "From:" line in
domain format ??

PLEASE MAIL COMMENTS TO wrl@wdl1.wdl.loral.com

Also, is the domainizing the job of the receiving host ??

From wrl@wdl51.wdl.loral.com  Fri Feb 22 08:57:05 1991
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 08:57:12 PST
From: wrl@wdl51.wdl.loral.com (Bill Lewandowski)
To: ericb@atherton.com
Subject: test

Muucp,  P=/usr/lib/uucp/uumail, F=sCDFMhuUS, S=13, R=23, M=100000,
        A=uumail -h -f$g $h!$u

S13
R$+                     $:$>5$1                         convert to old style
R$*<@$=w>$*             $1<@$w>$2                       resolve abbreviations
R$*<@$->$*              $1<@$2.$D>$3                    resolve abbreviations
#R$+<@$+>               $2!$1                           uucpize (no @'s in addr)
#R$w!$+                 $1                              strip local name
R$-                     $1@$w
R$+<@$w>                $1@$w                           uucpize (no @'s in addr)
R$w!$+                  $1@$w                           strip local name
#R$+                    $:$w!$1                         stick on our host name
#R$+                    $:$U!$1                         stick on our host name
R$=U!$-%$-              $:$1!$2@$3.$D                   ucbvax!user@host.domain

S23
R$+                     $:$>5$1                         convert to old style
R$*<@$=w>$*             $1<@$w>$2                       resolve abbreviations
R$*<@$->$*              $1<@$2.$D>$3                    resolve abbreviations
R$+<@$w>                $w!$1                           a!b@here -> here!a!b
#R$+<@$w>               $U!$1                           a!b@here -> here!a!b
R$=U!$+                 $2                              here!a!b -> a!b
# sanity ... should not happen.
R$=U.$D!$+              $2
--
Bill Lewandowski		LORAL Western Development Labs
(408) 473-4362			Internet: wrl@wdl1.wdl.loral.com

In article <1991Feb22.170204.23925@wdl1.wdl.loral.com> wrl@wdl1.wdl.loral.com (Bill Lewandowski) writes:
>Hi,
>One of our uccp connections wants to receive their mail in domain
>format. They also want to see the return address in domain format.
>We modified the .cf file as follows. The problem is that sendmail
>complains about no "!" in a uucp envelope (deliver.c).

  If the recipient site can accept domain format in the envelope
sender address (the 'From_' line), this is easy.  Just remove
the 'U' flag from the mailer definition, and use mailer specified
rewrite rules that generate domain style addresses.

  The error message you received was caused by the 'U' flag.  With
this flag, 'sendmail' wants to create a 'From_' line of the form:

	'From address date remote from nodename'

and looks for the first '!' to determine 'nodename'.  Remove the
'U' flag and the error message will go away.

 Whether the receiving domain can really accept domain style envelope
senders remains to be tested.  There is a change that a seemingly random
subset of the messages will be reprocessed to:  'From uucp@receiving.site'.
Best keep your eyes open for that.

 If you wind up needing to use bang format on the envelope, but wanting
domain format on the header, the best approach is to install an IDA version
of sendmail which supports separate envelope and header rewrite rules.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940