[comp.mail.sendmail] current version of smail3?

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (02/19/91)

I'm using a version of smail that I got from uunet -- the filename
was smail3.1.19.Z.  The header that smail is putting in my mail,
though, is smail3.1.18.1.

The file smail/patchnum looks like this:

# @(#)patchnum	1.23 11/22/89 23:12:35
PATCH_NUMBER=18
PATCH_DATE=22-nov-89

Is this really the latest version of smail, or should I look elsewhere
for the latest patches?  I don't have ftp access except to uunet.

Thanks!

Bill
--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp              The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (02/23/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I'm using a version of smail that I got from uunet -- the filename
>was smail3.1.19.Z.  The header that smail is putting in my mail,
>though, is smail3.1.18.1.

>Is this really the latest version of smail, or should I look elsewhere
>for the latest patches?  I don't have ftp access except to uunet.

Yes, that's the most current version. The differences between PL18 and
PL19 were in the documentation and sample configuration files. Since
none of the source changed, the source version number did not change.
A bit confusing, isn't it?

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
           atha!cs.athabascau.ca!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

stucki@math.fu-berlin.de (C. v. Stuckrad) (02/25/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I'm using a version of smail that I got from uunet -- the filename
>was smail3.1.19.Z.  The header that smail is putting in my mail,
>though, is smail3.1.18.1.
>
>The file smail/patchnum looks like this:
>
># @(#)patchnum	1.23 11/22/89 23:12:35
>PATCH_NUMBER=18
>PATCH_DATE=22-nov-89
>
>Is this really the latest version of smail, or should I look elsewhere
>for the latest patches?  I don't have ftp access except to uunet.

We have the same thing here, but I've been told that the difference in the
version (sub)number results from changed DOCUMENTATION only, so the program
(and the make) weren't  numbered 19 but stayed 18.

Greetings Stucki.
--
 Christoph von Stuckrad      *  *   !  talk to   ! <stucki@math.fu-berlin.de>
 Freie Universitaet Berlin   |/__*  !  nickname  ! ...!unido!fub!leibniz!stucki