[comp.mail.sendmail] frozen $s in 5.65 + ida-1.4.2 - SUMMARY

wolfgang@wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (02/27/91)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> The problem appears to be a confusion about the '$x' macros in sendmail.cf.
>The macros that appear in the rulesets are always expanded when the rulesets
>are initially read from 'sendmail.cf'.  They should be treated more as
>preprocessor constants than as variables.  The macros in header and mailer
>definitions, however, are expanded when as needed, so the values there
>can change.

This was the problem exactly.  Changing the RHS expression from $s to
$&s fixed everything.

> In spite of the suggestion in the subject line, this SHOULD NOT
> cause problems with the distributed IDA-1.4.x rulesets, for they
> make use of the IDA extension $&x (for example $&s is used in
> ruleset 8) which is evaluated at runtime.

No problem in the distributed sendmail+IDA package.  Just my desire to
add a new feature to it - and trip over what must be a common 'gotcha'
to veteran sendmail hackers.

-wolfgang

PS. Sendmail+IDA is a great package. Highly recomended!
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524