[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail.mx vs. sendmail

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (03/03/91)

>> I don't know, and while we're at it what earthly reason is there for
>> distributing a sendmail that doesn't grok MX records?

Something to do with the Yellow Plague.
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (03/03/91)

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (03/04/91)

In article <12999@darkstar.ucsc.edu> haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) writes:

>In article <1991Mar2.044516.15122@rock.concert.net> brock@cs.unca.edu (J. Dean Brock) writes:

>>Does anyone have a concise statement of the difference between Sun's
>>sendmail and sendmail.mx?
>
>I don't know, and while we're at it what earthly reason is there for
>distributing a sendmail that doesn't grok MX records?

The difference is that sendmail.mx is compiled with NAMED_BIND defined, the
other is not. If you look at the source you will be able to see all that that
entails. Essentially it means one is built to rely on nameservice and the
other not.

In answer to the second question, the reason for this is that not everyone
uses nameservice, small networks can still exist with a small hosts file.
However the sendmail code is designed to exclusively depend on a nameserver
if NAMED_BIND is defined. I just ran into this problem in my sendmail port
in AIX/370. Rather than ship two binaries I decided to make the code
conditional on the 'I' option in sendmail.cf, if you specify 'OI' you do
nameserver queries, otherwise you rely on gethostbyname to scan the hosts
file (or yellow page service if it's up).

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -