[comp.mail.sendmail] MX records

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) (04/18/89)

host X has two MX records           10 -> host X
                                    20 -> host Y

When X is down, mail for X from all over the Internet queues up on
host Y.

Mail for X, that is, from all over the Internet EXCEPT from host Y.
When Y tries to send mail to X and X's address MXs over to Y...

553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local

I would guess that sendmail is smart enough to do the right thing, and
that there is something I haven't configured properly. Any clues?...

thanks...

-Mike Marshall        hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu

parmelee@wayback.cs.cornell.edu (Larry Parmelee) (04/18/89)

In article <5140@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu
(Mike Marshall) writes:
> host X has two MX records           10 -> host X
>                                     20 -> host Y
>
> When X is down, mail for X from all over the Internet queues up on
> host Y.  [But] When Y tries to send mail to X and X's address MXs
> over to Y...
>
> 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local

That little gotcha isn't documented as clearly as it probably
should be....  The "w" macro in sendmail.cf must be set to your
site's full official internet name (which is also the name that
appears on the MX records).  If "hostname" on your machine
returns something other than the fully-domain-qualified official
hostname, you'll have to explicitly set the "w" macro to be the
official name.

-Larry Parmelee
parmelee@cs.cornell.edu

pmoore@hemel.bull.co.uk (Paul Moore) (03/05/91)

I know that it is frowned upon to put MX records in your name server for
domains that you dont have authority for. Ie in the dns for foo.edu. I should
not realy do
	*.bar.fi ................. mail.relay.gate.net.

However, given that I have done this, how do I persuade a seconadry server
to load the records from my master. I have for the secondary

	secondary	foo.edu		1.2.3.4 db.foo

This causes the secondary to only load those resources seen to belong to
foo.edu and *.bar.fi doesnt therefore it doesnt load them from 1.2.3.4.

Has anybody got an answer to this?
--
! Paul Moore, Bull HN UK, Maxted Rd,Hemel Hempstead, HP2 7DZ.   !