[comp.mail.sendmail] send-mail

gatesl@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Lee Gates) (03/07/91)

While monitoring my processes one day, I noticed that ps reported that I was
running a process called send-mail.  I am familiar with sendmail and unix,
so I sought after the man pages... even grepped all the man pages for the
string send-mail.  I would like to know what part of sendmail send-mail does.

The reason I am interested is because I hadn't send any mail for over an
hour, and didn't have any mail in the mailq at the time.  Initially, I was
suspecting some sort of security breach, with a setuid command, but I
haven't found the same process happenning.

thanx in advance
lee

gatesl@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Lee Gates) (03/07/91)

While monitoring my processes one day, I noticed that ps reported that I was
running a process called send-mailso I sought after the man pages... even grepped all the man pages for the
string send-mail.  I would like to know what part of sendmail send-mail does.

The reason I am interested is because I hadn't send any mail for over an
hour, and didn't have any mail in the mailq at the time.  Initially, I was
suspecting some sort of security breach, with a setuid command, but I
haven't found the same process happenning.

thanx in advance
lee
#!

bianco@cs.odu.edu (David J. Bianco) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar06.213014.25601@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> gatesl@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Lee Gates) writes:

   While monitoring my processes one day, I noticed that ps reported that I was
   running a process called send-mail.  I am familiar with sendmail and unix,
   so I sought after the man pages... even grepped all the man pages for the
   string send-mail.  I would like to know what part of sendmail send-mail does.

Well, if I remember right, sendmail actually changes it's
argv[0] to indicate what its status is.  Perhaps send-mail
is the status for when it's running as a daemon?

	David Bianco

kyle@uunet.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) (03/07/91)

gatesl@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Lee Gates) writes:
 > While monitoring my processes one day, I noticed that ps reported that I was
 > running a process called send-mail.  I am familiar with sendmail and unix,
 > so I sought after the man pages... even grepped all the man pages for the
 > string send-mail.  I would like to know what part of sendmail
 > send-mail does.

Berkeley Mail makes argv[0] "send-mail" when it execs sendmail.

 > The reason I am interested is because I hadn't send any mail for over an
 > hour, and didn't have any mail in the mailq at the time.  Initially, I was
 > suspecting some sort of security breach, with a setuid command, but I
 > haven't found the same process happenning.

sendmail was probably waiting for some mailer that it exec'd to
exit.  I don't know why it would be waiting so long on your
system, but it's not inconceivable for a mailer to take hours to
deliver a message.