[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail Errors - HELP!

dave@mgc.uucp (Dave Lockwood) (03/15/91)

Having just set up sendmail for the first time, things seem to be working in
that mail is getting routed in the right direction...

However!

Every message that goes out via uux/uucp causes sendmail to generate a message
to the originator like the one shown below. The mail actually does go out
correctly, so sendmail is telling lies :-(.

Can anyone give any pointers or tips on where to look?

Sample Message:

>From dave Fri Mar 15 09:44 GMT 1991
>Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 09:44:29 GMT
>From: MAILER-DAEMON@mgc.uucp (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
>Subject: Returned mail: Unable to deliver mail
>To: dave
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>554 No ! in UUCP! (dave)

Thanks in advance for your help.

MM      MM   GGGGGGGG           Dave Lockwood          MG Computer Systems Ltd
MMM    MMM  GG      GG        Head of Technology                     PO Box 50
MMMM  MMMM  GG                                                Technology House
MM MMMM MM  GG    GGGG          dave@mgc.uucp                        Hyde Park
MM  MM  MM  GG      GG                                               Doncaster
MM      MM  GG      GG      ..!ukc!vision!mgc!dave                     DN4 5AW
MM      MM   GGGGGGGG                                                  England
COMPUTER  SYSTEMS  LTD     G4CLI@GB7DCC._199.GBR.EU             +44-302-738770

karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu (03/18/91)

dave@mgc.uucp writes:
   Every message that goes out via uux/uucp causes sendmail to
   generate a message to the originator like the one shown below. The
   mail actually does go out correctly, so sendmail is telling lies :-(.
   Can anyone give any pointers or tips on where to look?

   >   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
   >554 No ! in UUCP! (dave)

If you have source, look in sendmail/src/deliver.c in the routine
putfromline(), where you will find code of this general flavor:

		bang = index(buf, '!');
		if (bang == NULL)
#if 0
			syserr("No ! in UUCP! (%s)", buf);
#else /* 0 */
			bang = bang; /* NOP */
#endif /* 0 */
		else
		{
			*bang++ = '\0';
			(void) sprintf(xbuf, "From %s  \001d remote from %s\n", bang, buf);
			template = xbuf;
		}

The #if addition is my own, and it shuts off the offending message.

The reason for the diagnostic is that you are generating an origin
address (in this case, the envelope's from, which is used in the UNIX
From_ line) which is probably in domain format, i.e., it lacks any use
of `!'.  For UUCP-bound mail, this is likely an incorrect thing to do;
but it is not something which can afford to be announced with a 4xx or
5xx error code, since that would imply non-delivery, while
putfromline() calmly proceeds with delivery regardless of the problem.
This behavior can cause redelivery loops under some circumstances.

In my own .cf, it is the correct thing to do, since I depend on smail
2.5 as a back-end UUCP mailer to unwrap the domain format into !-path
format for me; it works quite well.

--karl
--
LISTSERV ... doesn't have that "using a lit match to try to find a gas
leak" aspect that having write access to an important mail relay's

In article <1991Mar15.095040.7795@mgc.uucp> dave@mgc.UUCP (Dave Lockwood) writes:
>Having just set up sendmail for the first time, things seem to be working in
>that mail is getting routed in the right direction...
>
>>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>554 No ! in UUCP! (dave)

  This is caused by you providing a sender address to the UUCP mailer
which doesn't have a ! in it.  Sendmail wants to create a 'From '
line with:  From user date remote from host

and without a '!' it cannot find the host.

 Most likely cause:  You are trying to use domain notation 'user@full.dom.ain'
instead of UUCP notation: uunode!user  or full.dom.ain!user

 Solution:  Change your rewrite ruleset (the one specified in the 'S='
operand to the UUCP mailer) to provide the proper format.

 Alternate solution:  If you have a non-standard uux, or if your neighbor
really prefers domain notation on the UUCP mail envelope, just remove the
'U' flag from the 'F=' string of flags in the UUCP mailer definition.
Without the 'U' flag (the UGLY UUCP flag), sendmail does not add the
'remote from host' to the end of the 'From ' line, so does not search for
a '!'.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940