[comp.mail.sendmail] Full name in mail from client machines

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (03/18/91)

We have several sun workstations running the SunOS 4.1.1 mx sendmail.
I've noticed that mail from the YP server includes the user's full
name while mail from the client machines.  In other words, mail from
the server might have a from field of:

    fwp1@Ra.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters)

while mail from the client will have just:

    fwp1@Ra.MsState.Edu

All mail from the client machine is sent on to the server for delivery
(using sendmail rules, not Sun's OR hack).

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get the full name in the
headers from all machines?

Thanks,
Frank
--
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

composer@chem.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (03/19/91)

In article <FWP1.91Mar17210256@Isis.CC.MsState.Edu> fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) writes:
 > All mail from the client machine is sent on to the server for delivery
 > (using sendmail rules, not Sun's OR hack).
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get the full name in the
 > headers from all machines?

Since you relaying all mail sent from client machines to a central mail
server, adding the following to your client's sendmail.cf may help.

	Dq<$g>

It should be replacing a line which may read similar to:

	Dq$g$?x ($x)$.

This is for setting the "From: " line.  If the envelope "from" and the
header "from" match ("From: <user>"), sendmail will attempt to add the
full name, given that you have something similar to the latter definition
for the q macro defined in your server's sendmail.cf.

Good luck!

			-jeff

Jeff Kellem
Internet: composer@chem.bu.edu