[comp.mail.sendmail] RS/6000 AIX sendmail.cf Question

ced@bcstec.uucp (Charles Derykus) (03/19/91)

Does anyone know how the set up the functional equivalent of a relay mail
host on the IBM RS6000?

On the Sun, we just defined the following macro:

#major relay host
#DRmailhost
#CRmailhost

I have scoured IBM's sendmail.cf and the only item that seems to be a
candidate is listed below:

# Host name for RSCS relay
#DVvme
#CVRSCS  BITNET NETNORTH EARN EARNET VNET

I have know idea of what this is doing however nor what "RSCS" means.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Charles DeRykus				Internet:   ced@bcstec.boeing.com
Boeing Computer Services		UUCP:	    ...!uunet!bcstec!ced
Renton, WA.  M/S 6R-37			(206) 234-9223

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (03/19/91)

In article <735@bcstec.boeing.com> ced@bcstec.uucp (Charles Derykus) writes:
>Does anyone know how the set up the functional equivalent of a relay mail
>host on the IBM RS6000?
>
>On the Sun, we just defined the following macro:
>
>#major relay host
>#DRmailhost
>#CRmailhost

Charles,
	 It is not just a matter of defining a macro somewhere, you also
need the support of the macro in the rules. The fundamental idea behind
the so-called "relayhost" is that before sendmail will just 'give up' and
bounce a message to an address it cannot resolve it will send it to this
entity called 'relayhost' to handle. If you look carefully over the rule
set 0 on the Sun as well as the macro you should be able to see how this
works and implement something similar on the 6000.

>I have scoured IBM's sendmail.cf and the only item that seems to be a
>candidate is listed below:
>
># Host name for RSCS relay
>#DVvme
>#CVRSCS  BITNET NETNORTH EARN EARNET VNET
>
>I have know idea of what this is doing however nor what "RSCS" means.

This has nothing to do with what you are concerned with. RSCS is a
communication package used in the 370 mainframe environment. Sendmail
on the 6000 as well as AIX/370 and AIX/PS/2 is set up to know about mail
to the VM/CMS environment.

If you really are stuck trying to get this working you could send me some
email and I will try and send you some sample rules (yes, I know I haven't
responded to your earlier email, I have it I have just been so crazy busy,
sorry :-{ ). In fact, maybe you should open a problem report that would
justify putting this sort of option into sendmail.cf for everyone, of
course I can't speak for the 6000 folk but I would like to do this for the
PS/2 and 370 sendmail.cf.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for Big Blue nor LCC.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

cjc@ils.nwu.edu (Christopher Chen) (03/20/91)

In article <735@bcstec.boeing.com>, ced@bcstec.uucp (Charles Derykus) writes:
> I have scoured IBM's sendmail.cf and the only item that seems to be a
> candidate is listed below:
>
> # Host name for RSCS relay
> #DVvme
> #CVRSCS  BITNET NETNORTH EARN EARNET VNET
>
> I have know idea of what this is doing however nor what "RSCS" means.

I'm not sure this will help, but RSCS is the control program used by
most IBM mainframes to handle BITNET connections.  I suspect the entry
is used to specify which host sendmail should forward BITNET mail to.
Doesn't sound like a promising candidate.

cjc
--
Christopher J. Chen, Distributed System Support               cjc@ils.nwu.edu
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL                 cjc@casbah.acns.nwu.edu