[comp.mail.sendmail] looking at macros

kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com (Michael Kandall) (03/20/91)

When debugging a sendmail.cf file, how can one display the
value of a macro?

So if I have

	FS/etc/hosts %*[0-9] %[-_.a-zA-Z0-9]

how can I see what S is really set to?

Thanks,

Mike

bs@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Bernard Steiner) (03/20/91)

In article <KANDALL.91Mar19212139@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com>, kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com (Michael Kandall) writes:
> When debugging a sendmail.cf file, how can one display the
> value of a macro?
> 	FS/etc/hosts %*[0-9] %[-_.a-zA-Z0-9]
> how can I see what S is really set to?

Mike,
what you're asking to see is not a macro, but a class.

Macro definition can be seen, I believe, with -d35.n,
whereas class definition snooping appears to be possible only if you display
all the symbol stuff with -d36.n (where n specifies a small positive integer)

Hope that helps

-Bernard

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (03/22/91)

kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com (Michael Kandall) writes:

>When debugging a sendmail.cf file, how can one display the
>value of a macro?
>
>So if I have
>
>	FS/etc/hosts %*[0-9] %[-_.a-zA-Z0-9]
>
>how can I see what S is really set to?

If you're using the 5.65b version from UIUC/NIU, you can try -d37.2 to
print the class members as they're set.  Actually the current version
misses the C members, but that's fixed in the next release (Gack, I
sound like a vendor).  More generally, run strings on the sendmail.fc
file.  Entries read from /etc/hosts are easy to spot.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910