[comp.mail.sendmail] Creating a domain alias

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (03/22/91)

How do I go about setting up named so that I can have an alias for our
domain resolve to a machine.

Specifically, I want mail to an address x@csee.lehigh.edu be sent to
x@aragorn.csee.lehigh.edu, and aragorn... will take care of it.

Thanks in advance.

In article <1461@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>How do I go about setting up named so that I can have an alias for our
>domain resolve to a machine.

  What was that again?

  According to the DNS data I am reading for your domain, it is already
set up correctly.  If it isn't working for you, then your sendmail is not
properly handling MX records, in which case you should junk it, and get
a version that works properly.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz) (03/24/91)

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>Specifically, I want mail to an address x@csee.lehigh.edu be sent to
>x@aragorn.csee.lehigh.edu, and aragorn... will take care of it.

The simplest way is to add an A record that defines the domain name as
a host with the same IP address as the mail host. Here's what it looks
like in our named file, where frank.borland.com is the mailhost. Note
the games played with $ORIGIN to change the default domain properly.
I tried using an MX record to define borland.com, but some sites would
not send mail to it properly until I did this.

  -- sidney markowitz <sidney@borland.com>

[begin excerpt from named file]
		IN	NS	frank.borland.com.
frank		IN	A	131.119.250.105
		IN	HINFO	Sun4 UNIX
mailhost	IN	CNAME	frank
loghost		IN	CNAME	frank
$ORIGIN com.
borland		IN	A	131.119.250.105
$ORIGIN borland.com.
[end excerpt from named file]

Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (03/25/91)

[ I am moving this conversation to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains,
  where it belongs better, IMHO ]

Sidney> The simplest way is to add an A record that defines the domain name as
Sidney> a host with the same IP address as the mail host. Here's what it looks

Sidney> $ORIGIN borland.com.
Sidney> @		IN	NS	frank.borland.com.
Sidney> frank		IN	A	131.119.250.105
Sidney> $ORIGIN com.
Sidney> borland		IN	A	131.119.250.105

Now, IS THIS CORRECT?

Is it really correct to have two names pointing to the same address.
The way I see it, one of these names should be a CNAME entry.  And
because a domain cannot be a CNAME, then the name "frank" should be a
CNAME ponting to borland.com.  Like this

	$ORIGIN borland.com.
	@	IN	NS	@
		IN	A	131.119.250.105
	frank	IN	CNAME	@

Of course this means, that the canonical name for the host is then
borland.com, not frank.borland.com.  But I can't see, what the
canonical name is in the original case...

Please, comment on this and let me know, what the right way is.  I
think this has been discussed before, and I think, that the way I
described is the correct one.  Am I right?  Or am I right? ;-)

P.S.  I am not trying to offend anyone.  I have just run into this
problem many times lately.
--
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM@FINFILES