[comp.mail.sendmail] Apollo sendmail black hole

rabbe@infolog.se (Rabbe Fogelholm) (03/20/91)

I am trying to use a sendmail daemon on our Apollo system, but I am
having problems with messages that vanish mysteriously.  Somebody might
have experienced this already, as the software that I use is widely
distributed and the exercise is a rather basic one.

Software versions are as follows: AEGIS SR9.7.5 with DOMAIN/IX 9.5,
sendmail 4.12, sendmail.cf "1.11X" borrowed from sunic.sunet.se with
minimal changes, mconnect.c 5.4.

Now, for the symptoms: Turning on logging didn't help me a lot. By
starting the daemon as 'sendmail -bd -n -odq' I was able to look at
received-and-queued messages, and it seems that those messages that
would be lost (when running the daemon as -bd -odb) are those whose qf*
file does not contain an 'R' entry.

The absence of an 'R' entry occurs when the name of the sender
coincides with the name of the receiver, which may be the case if I am
logged in as myself on a non-Apollo and mail to myself on the Apollo.

I can even provoke this behaviour by connecting to the daemon using the
'mconnect' utility, running on the Apollo system itself.  A session
such as

    mconnect pluto
    helo
    mail from: <rabbe>
    rcpt to: <rabbe>
    data
    qwerty
    .
    quit

yields a qf file that looks like this:

    P7
    T669419371
    DdfAA03596
    S<rabbe>
    Hreceived: from  (pluto.ARPA) by disney.infolog.se (4.12/1.11X)
    	id AA03596; Tue, 19 Mar 91 22:49:31 -0200 (MET)
    H?D?date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 22:49:16 -0200
    H?x?full-name: Rabbe Fogelholm
    H?M?message-id: <9103192149.AA03596@disney.infolog.se>
    H?F?from: rabbe (Rabbe Fogelholm)
    Happarently-to: <rabbe>

The 'R' entry is missing. When running the mail queue the message is
lost.

Is this a bug in the first place? If so, what could I do about it?  Any
hints appreciated.

Rabbe Fogelholm, Infologics AB     rabbe@infolog.se    fax: +46 8 960846

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (03/22/91)

rabbe@infolog.se (Rabbe Fogelholm) writes:

>I am trying to use a sendmail daemon on our Apollo system, but I am
>having problems with messages that vanish mysteriously.  Somebody might
>have experienced this already, as the software that I use is widely
>distributed and the exercise is a rather basic one.
>
>Software versions are as follows: AEGIS SR9.7.5 with DOMAIN/IX 9.5,
>sendmail 4.12, sendmail.cf "1.11X" borrowed from sunic.sunet.se with
>minimal changes, mconnect.c 5.4.

Be very careful that the flags (F= ) and program arguments for the local
(Mlocal) and program (Mprog) mailers are duplicated from the old
sendmail.cf to the new.  Leave the new values of S= and R= alone.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

rabbe@infolog.se (Rabbe Fogelholm) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar19.230909.515@infolog.se> I (Rabbe Fogelholm)
wrote:

>I am trying to use a sendmail daemon on our Apollo system, but I am
>having problems with messages that vanish mysteriously.
>
>Software versions are as follows: AEGIS SR9.7.5 with DOMAIN/IX 9.5,
>sendmail 4.12, sendmail.cf "1.11X" borrowed from sunic.sunet.se with
>minimal changes, mconnect.c 5.4.
>
>Now, for the symptoms: Turning on logging didn't help me a lot. By
>starting the daemon as 'sendmail -bd -n -odq' I was able to look at
>received-and-queued messages, and it seems that those messages that
>would be lost (when running the daemon as -bd -odb) are those whose qf*
>file does not contain an 'R' entry.
>
>The absence of an 'R' entry occurs when the name of the sender
>coincides with the name of the receiver, which may be the case if I am
>logged in as myself on a non-Apollo and mail to myself on the Apollo.

Thanks all who responded here or by mail.  It turned out that starting
the daemon with

    sendmail -bd -q15m -om

as one of you suggested, cured the problem (touch wood). The meaning of
'm' is "Send to me too, even if I am in an alias expansion". It seems
that this ancient sendmail treats every recipient as something alias-
expanded, even if no aliasing has taken place. I would guess that more
recent versions of sendmail behave differently.