[comp.mail.sendmail] "smart_path" in smail3.1 configuration

heiser@world.std.com (Bill Heiser) (03/24/91)

Using smail 3.1 on an Esix (sysvr3) system, is there a way to alias
a hostname?  My situation is this:  I have two uucp links --  'system1'
and 'system2'.  I have the "smart_path" entry in /usr/lib/smail/config
set to "smart_path=system1".  This way, any mail destined for an "unknown"
system gets routed thru system1 and is resolved there for routing.

I still get mail thru system2 -- and headers have 'system2.domain.com'.
The uucp name of system2 is 'system2', not 'system2.domain.com'.  Therefore,
if I reply to a message that came IN thru system2, it gets addressed as
system2.domain.com!something!something...  Since 'system2.domain.com'
is "uknown" to my system, the mail gets routed first to system1, then
to system2 for delivery.  Not effecient, espeically if system1 is unreachable.
:-)

How can I tell smail that system2.domain.com == system2?

Should I be using pathalias to route things properly, since I now
have TWO smarthosts as uucp links?  Before, I just let my sole uucp
smarthost take care of things ... it seems this doesn't work so well now.

Looking for suggestions, etc from knowledgable net.people.

Thanks in advance!

Bill
--
 Bill Heiser | heiser@world.std.com  (Public Access Unix)
_____________| heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com

In article <1991Mar23.183056.11198@world.std.com> heiser@world.std.com (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Using smail 3.1 on an Esix (sysvr3) system, is there a way to alias
>a hostname?

Yes, that's one of the main reasons for using it on a uucp based machine.

>I still get mail thru system2 -- and headers have 'system2.domain.com'.
>The uucp name of system2 is 'system2', not 'system2.domain.com'.  Therefore,
>if I reply to a message that came IN thru system2, it gets addressed as
>system2.domain.com!something!something...  Since 'system2.domain.com'
>is "uknown" to my system, the mail gets routed first to system1, then
>to system2 for delivery.  Not effecient, espeically if system1 is unreachable.

Actually, it's pretty strange for system2 to be putting it's domain name
into things passing through it.  It should put it's uucp name in the
uucp From_ line and leave the header lines alone, except for mail
originating there which should have it's domain name in the From: header
line.  But - it doesn't matter.

>How can I tell smail that system2.domain.com == system2?
>Should I be using pathalias to route things properly, since I now
>have TWO smarthosts as uucp links?  Before, I just let my sole uucp
>smarthost take care of things ... it seems this doesn't work so well now.

Just hand-build a paths file to cover the things you don't want to
send to the smart-host, and all the possible alternative names for
them. Specifically in this case, you need:
system2.domain.com system2!%s
which will cause anything addressed with the next hop as system2.domain.com
to be sent by uucp to system2.  I like to include all the neighboring
uucp sites in the paths file as well since it saves running "uuname"
to find them for each piece of mail.
Maintaining a full uucp paths file might work a little more efficiently
since it could choose the best starting point towards any address for
you, but it may not be worth the trouble.

  Les Mikesell
   les@chinet.chi.il.us