From MAILER-DAEMON@server1 Fri Mar 22 16:01:23 1991
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 15:58:46 EST
From: MAILER-DAEMON@server1 (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 5
To: <murray@motto>

mail: Options MUST PRECEDE persons
554 <murrayk@server1>... unknown mailer error 5

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
From: murray@motto (Murray S. Kucherawy)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1991 16:01:07 EST
To: murrayk@server1
Subject: Sample

Sample message

----------

Answer by either posting or e-mail.

adv-THANKS-ance...

=============================== Murray S. Kucherawy ==========================
Motorola Canada, Ltd.     Communications Division, Toronto      [on work term]
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada               2B Math/Computer Science
Internet: murray@motto.UUCP (work)       mskucherawy@watmath.UWaterloo.ca (UW)
UUCP:     uunet!utai!lsuc!motto!murray   uunet!watmath!mskucherawy

In article <542@motto.UUCP>, murray@motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) writes:
|> I'm working on configuring a sendmail daemon, and I have it completely
|> functional, except when receiving mail for local users, I get this:

|>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
|> mail: Options MUST PRECEDE persons
|> 554 <murrayk@server1>... unknown mailer error 5

  Well, since you did not provide your sendmail.cf file, I can only guess at
what the problem is, but a pretty good guess is that the command line
specification for the local mailer specification is screwed up.

  For example, my local mailer specification looks like this:

	Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFMmn, S=8, A=mail -d $u

I suspect you've got the "$u" and the "-d" switched, like this:

	Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFMmn, S=8, A=mail $u -d

At least, that's what the error message you're getting seems to imply.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (03/26/91)

jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>In article <542@motto.UUCP>, murray@motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) writes:
>|> I'm working on configuring a sendmail daemon, and I have it completely
>|> functional, except when receiving mail for local users, I get this:
>|>
>|>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>|> mail: Options MUST PRECEDE persons
>|> 554 <murrayk@server1>... unknown mailer error 5
>|>

>  Well, since you did not provide your sendmail.cf file, I can only guess at
>what the problem is, but a pretty good guess is that the command line
>specification for the local mailer specification is screwed up.
>
>  For example, my local mailer specification looks like this:
>
>	Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFMmn, S=8, A=mail -d $u
>
>I suspect you've got the "$u" and the "-d" switched, like this:
>
>	Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFMmn, S=8, A=mail $u -d
>
>At least, that's what the error message you're getting seems to imply.

Another cause I've seen is that some /bin/mail programs don't like 'r'
in the Flags section.  Try it as

	Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFMmn, S=8, A=mail -d $u

The best thing to do is to compare entries for the local mailer against
a sendmail.cf file that's known to work on your system.
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910