[comp.mail.sendmail] aliases database

cevert@airgun.wg.waii.com (Christopher C. Evert) (03/28/91)

I am installing sendmail v5.65 + IDA 1.4.2 on an IBM RT and I want to take
advantage of xalparse to generate my aliases and genericfrom databases.
I used ida/lib/xaliases as the model for my xaliases file and generated
what to me looked like a good aliases file, but when I ran
sendmail -bi, it complained about `@'s in the left hand side.
So, I tried to get ida/aux/dbm to generate the .pag and .dir file.
(This file got created with 2 links and all, but I don't know how to look at
it for correctness, which may be my problem after all.)
Now, when I send mail to an alias, I eventually get an ... User unknown
message.
The generics database seems to work just fine.

So, my question is:
How do I build a correct aliases database?
--
For you Latin scholars:  Is UNIX pronounced "yoo-nine" or "yoo-no-vem"?

Christopher C. Evert     cevert@airgun.wg.waii.com     uunet!airgun!cevert

In article <929@airgun.wg.waii.com> cevert@airgun.wg.waii.com (Christopher C. Evert) writes:
>I am installing sendmail v5.65 + IDA 1.4.2 on an IBM RT and I want to take
>advantage of xalparse to generate my aliases and genericfrom databases.
>I used ida/lib/xaliases as the model for my xaliases file and generated
>what to me looked like a good aliases file, but when I ran
>sendmail -bi, it complained about `@'s in the left hand side.

 Using aliases with an '@' is tricky as it technically violates a design
assumption of sendmail.  In IDA-1.4.2, and all earlier versions,
the basic method was to create a separate 'sendmail.cf' - usually called
'newaliases.cf' which is created with the NEWALIASES keyword defined in the
M4 sources.

 Since then there have been several changes and improvements.

 I strongly recommend you pick up the 1.4.3 configuration package.  If you
have access to 'rcs', you can pick up the rcs archive from
mp.cs.niu.edu:/pub/cf which contains both 1.4.2 and 1.4.3, together with
some experimental versions (1.4.3.7 is the latest).

 With the new versions the aliases source file requires slightly different
formatting for addresses with an '@' on the left of the alias.  There is a
shell script 'xalparse.sh' in the same directory which converts the output
of xalparse into the required form.  Or if you wan to experiment, I will
soon put a revised experimental version of xalparse.c in that same directory.

>So, I tried to get ida/aux/dbm to generate the .pag and .dir file.

 I am not sure whether this works or not.  But you would have to use the
dbm parameter to add the @: @ marker at the end.  Otherwise 'sendmail' will
assume the database is being rebuild by another process, and will wait for it.
After the wait times out, it probably refuses to use what it assumes to be
an incomplete database.  (It probably complains in your syslog files too).

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940