[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail

peter@sx.ac.uk (Allott P) (02/08/89)

suggest you send message to
uk-sendmail-workers-request@hw.cs

tdt@grumpy.sarnoff.com (Tanya Treadwell x2061) (11/20/90)

I have a problem with one of my SUN workstations with sending mail out. The
When sending out e-mail the user gets an error message Return to Sender and
in the /var/adm/message file multiple error messages: Vague(machine_name)
sendamil[5072]AA0507:SYSERR:net hang reading from grumpy(server):connection
timed out. Also the processes on the server just continues to try to sendmail
and it slows up the machine, so I have to kill those sendamil processes. I
wonder if any one can help me this problem. It happens every time mail is
sent out from that particular workstation. Your HELP in this matter will
be GREATLY appreciated.

Until then have a HAPPY THANKGIVING!!!!!!

-Tanya

  Sendmail uses nameserver Mail eXchange (MX) records to deliver mail to sites
that are not directly on the Internet (or that are on the Internet but have
requested MX service).

  The nameserver protocol allows clients to ask nameservers for several
different types of information.  Two of those are address records and MX
records.

  An address record contains an Internet address.  When sendmail is delivering
mail to a site that has an Internet address, it asks the name service for the
host record and then connects to the address it gets back in order to deliver
the mail.

  An MX record contains a preference and a name.  The name is the name of a
host to which mail should be sent; that host must have an address record
registered.  The preference is a number; the higher the number, the more the
mailer is encouraged to use that MX record.  This way, a host can have
multiple MX records, some serving as backup, and the ones with the higher
preference will get tried first.

  The way sendmail actually delivers mail is to *first* ask the name service
for an MX record.  If it gets one or more back, then the mail is delivered as
the response indicates.  This allows sites that are on the Internet but that
do not accept mail to use the name service to get their mail sent somewhere
else.  Then, if the MX record query fails, it asks for an address record, and
if it gets one back, it tries all of the addresses in the record (hosts can
have multiple address records just as they can have multiple MX records,
although address records do not have preferences) until it can connect to one.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (03/22/91)

jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  An MX record contains a preference and a name.  The name is the name of a
>host to which mail should be sent; that host must have an address record
>registered.  The preference is a number; the higher the number, the more the
>mailer is encouraged to use that MX record.  This way, a host can have
>multiple MX records, some serving as backup, and the ones with the higher
>preference will get tried first.

This is actually reversed.  An MX value of 10 is preferred over a value
of 50.  The value of 0 is typically used for the host itself.  Otherwise
a very good explanation.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar21.201653.2820@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes...

...a very good explanation of MX recoreds.

> The preference is a number; the higher the number, the more the
>mailer is encouraged to use that MX record.

Well, it's been five days, so I'll say it.

The LOWER the number, the HIGHER the precedence.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

scott@coyote.trw.com (Scott Simpson) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar21.201653.2820@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  An MX record contains a preference and a name.  The name is the name of a
>host to which mail should be sent; that host must have an address record
>registered.  The preference is a number; the higher the number, the more the
>mailer is encouraged to use that MX record.  This way, a host can have

Beeep. Wrong. The MX record with the *lowest* number gets tried first.
An empty MX record list and an MX record with a preference of zero are
treated the same.
--
Scott Simpson			TRW			scott@coyote.trw.com