[comp.mail.sendmail] Multiple Binary Attachments And RFC-822 Mail

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (03/26/91)

Have there been any attempts to define a standard for the transmission
of multiple binary files inside of an RFC-822 envelope?  Is there
anything about RFC-822 that makes this impossible?  It seems to me that
this capability is going to become very important to companies who
want to make use of cheap TCP/IP internets and SMTP as the backbone
for their email networks.

Thanks,
Will Estes        Internet: Will@cup.portal.com
                  UUCP: apple!cup.portal.com!Will

philf@xymox.metaphor.com (Phil Fernandez) (03/28/91)

In article <40567@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>Have there been any attempts to define a standard for the transmission
>of multiple binary files inside of an RFC-822 envelope?  Is there
>anything about RFC-822 that makes this impossible?  It seems to me that
>this capability is going to become very important to companies who
>want to make use of cheap TCP/IP internets and SMTP as the backbone
>for their email networks.

At Metaphor we have done a fair amount of thought-work on this issue,
and have built an effective working prototype for the transmission of
multiple binary attachments in an RFC-822 message transmitted via
SMTP.

I'd be very interested in discussing approaches and possible
standardization with others.

pmf

--
Phil Fernandez            |               philf@metaphor.com
Director, System Software |       ...!{apple|decwrl}!metaphor!philf

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/30/91)

There is an IETF working group for SMTP extensions that will probably be
addressing at least some of these areas...  To be added to the list, send to
	ietf-smtp-request@dimacs.rutgers.edu

--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

swilliam@a101.even.ge.com (U-E99999-Stephen Williams) (04/02/91)

philf@xymox.metaphor.com (Phil Fernandez) writes:

>In article <40567@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>>Have there been any attempts to define a standard for the transmission
>>of multiple binary files inside of an RFC-822 envelope?  Is there
>>anything about RFC-822 that makes this impossible?  It seems to me that
>>this capability is going to become very important to companies who
>>want to make use of cheap TCP/IP internets and SMTP as the backbone
>>for their email networks.

>At Metaphor we have done a fair amount of thought-work on this issue,
>and have built an effective working prototype for the transmission of
>multiple binary attachments in an RFC-822 message transmitted via
>SMTP.

>I'd be very interested in discussing approaches and possible
>standardization with others.

We have been looking at Poste as a standard email package.  It has
a nice Motif User Interface and supports many standards, including
X.400 and SMTP/sendmail.  It has a configurable enclosures capability
and can send messages with enclosures to sendmail addresses.

It just encodes the pieces in uuencode if neccessary and adds a line
like:

Encoding: 24 text, 16 uuencode gif, 3000 uuencode bitmap

denoting the pieces.

Looks great to me!  The absence of an X- prefix would indicate that
they expect this to be standard or that they don't know any better.

Does anyone know if this feature has reached RFC status yet?

sdw

Stephen D. Williams     SDW Systems (513) 439-5428   GE AEG (513) 552-5237
ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W     Internet: swilliam@a101.even.ge.com
				  sdwsys!sdw@valhalla.cs.wright.edu