[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail 5.65 frozen config problem on apollo

etb@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Bushnell) (03/28/91)

This may be known problem (more in a moment), but I don't recall
seeing it in the news, so I thought I'd report it.

I have been using sendmail 5.65 (plain, no IDA stuff) for a
few weeks on an apollo DN3500, OS 10.3. Last week I got around
to making a sendmail.fc, frozen configuration.

Not a happy situation 8-(

It started sending two copies of every outgoing message
because it doesn't seem to clear the queue properly after the
first transmission. It also mangles headers in a variety of
ways.

Deleting sendmail.fc cures it.

The only sendmail revision I could find (in an admittedly brief search)
at ftp sites was sendmail-5.65b+IDA. So I acquired it, and while
looking at the Makefile and conf.h, I noticed a comment and
some #ifdef's about platforms that won't work with a frozen
config file--including apollo. Thus it appears that someone
else has noticed this, too.

So: Is this an apollo-ism that's fixable? Is there a workaround
other than "don't use the frozen config"? Do previous versions
of sendmail work better on apollos (OS 10.1-10.3)?

Thanks everybody,

Eric Bushnell
Univ of Washington Civil Engineering
etb@zeus.ce.washington.edu
etb@milton.u.washington.edu

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/29/91)

In article <19116@milton.u.washington.edu>, etb@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Bushnell) writes:

  I have been using sendmail 5.65 (plain, no IDA stuff) for a
  few weeks on an apollo DN3500, OS 10.3. Last week I got around
  to making a sendmail.fc, frozen configuration.

  Not a happy situation 8-(

I'm using sendmail 5.61 and frozen configs work fine.  From the FAQ file:

Question:  Where can I get a version of sendmail which supports MX records?

Answer:

Sendmail 5.61+IDA is available by anonymous ftp from eng.clemson.edu in
directory mail+ftp.  For some small patches to make it run better under
Domain/OS, ftp the file sendmail.5.61-apo.Z from maths.su.oz.au.

murray@motto.UUCP (Murray S. Kucherawy) (03/29/91)

etb@milton.u.washington.edu writes:
>I have been using sendmail 5.65 (plain, no IDA stuff) for a
>few weeks on an apollo DN3500, OS 10.3. [...]
>
>Not a happy situation 8-(

I had all kinds of problems with sendmail on an Apollo (thanks to Neil
Rickert for helping me out).  I never thought of not using a sendmail.fc file
but there are many other problems to be aware of, not the least of which
is the fact that using the "r" option in the "F=" field of your Mlocal
definition is not compatible with the version of /bin/mail that OS 10.3
comes with, even though that sendmail.cf also comes with the same OS
release.  This prevented inbound mail from other machines via SMTP.

Another problem is $w gets defined as the host's IP address and not the
hostname.  I had to change the DA$w line to DAhostname.

Also, the Apollo sendmail.cf didn't resolve incoming mail to the local
mailer, but instead to the tcplocal mailer, causing "I refuse to talk
to myself" errors.

There were a lot of other problems (which may well be specific to our site,
but I doubt it), which were eventually fixed by copying a sendmail.cf from
another machine, tweaking it here and there, and freezing it.

=============================== Murray S. Kucherawy ==========================
Motorola Canada, Ltd.     Communications Division, Toronto      [on work term]
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada               2B Math/Computer Science
Internet: murray@motto.UUCP (work)       mskucherawy@watmath.UWaterloo.ca (UW)
UUCP:     uunet!utai!lsuc!motto!murray   uunet!watmath!mskucherawy

paul@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Killey) (04/03/91)

Once upon a time (so long ago, one could still find jim rees
out at chelmsford) ... -:)

anyway, that frozen-config file error kind of comes and goes.

the last time around (some time ago) it turned out to be
because of some wrinkle in the c compiler or ld.  Seriously.

some .cf files work, some don't.  for example, i just tried
one here, and got this for an error when i tried to run
with the frozen config:

% /usr/lib/sendmail -v paul
No local mailer defined
No prog mailer defined

The unfrozen one works fine.

This has been found and fixed before, but for the life of me
I can't remember what it was.  Maybe I can look for an old
tape that would have a fixed version of sendmail on it for apollos.

--paul

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (04/03/91)

paul@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Killey) writes:

>anyway, that frozen-config file error kind of comes and goes.
>
>the last time around (some time ago) it turned out to be
>because of some wrinkle in the c compiler or ld.  Seriously.
>This has been found and fixed before, but for the life of me
>I can't remember what it was.  Maybe I can look for an old
>tape that would have a fixed version of sendmail on it for apollos.

More useful would be what it took to make old versions of sendmail work
on apollos and apply that knowledge to recent versions.  Just like BSD
UNIX, once you're used to the new features of 4.3, going back to a 4.2
environment is hell on earth.  So it is with older versions of sendmail.

Someone a few weeks back posted a msg in comp.sys.apollo stating that he
had made sendmail sit up and dance on apollo systems.  His expertise
was obviously great, but there's been no response to my query about
migrating his changes into the UIUC/NIU version of IDA sendmail.

/pbp
/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910