[comp.mail.sendmail] Hiding hostnames from mail-headers

In article <26387@adm.brl.mil>, Z00EJR01%AWIUNI11@pucc.princeton.edu ( Ewald Jenisch) writes:
|> [asks how to hide subdomains in sender addresses]

  It seems to me that the easiest way to do what you're trying to accomplish
is to do a bit of address rewriting in ruleset 1, which is applied to all
sender addresses, so that individual machines are hidden.

  Using ease notation, you would so something like this (leaving out many of
the details):

field
	username, hostname	: match (1);

macro
	hiddenhost		= "univie.ac.at";

bind
	SENDER_PREWRITE		= ruleset 1;

ruleset SENDER_PREWRITE {
	if ( username < @ hostname . $hiddenhost > )
		retry ( $1 < @ $hiddenhost > );

	if ( username < @ hostname . hostname . $hiddenhost > )
		retry ( $1 < @ hiddenhost > );
}

This hides machines up to two levels deep in the domain.

  Now, you might not want to be this general -- you might want to define a
class of hostnames that you want to hide, and only match against those hosts
when deciding whether or not to hide.  It should be relatively straightforward.

  By the way, if you don't have ease, then you should get it :-).  I believe
it was posted in comp.sources.misc recently, and it takes much of the stress
out of sendmail config files.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

In article <1991Apr3.174745.14340@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <26387@adm.brl.mil>, Z00EJR01%AWIUNI11@pucc.princeton.edu ( Ewald Jenisch) writes:
>|> [asks how to hide subdomains in sender addresses]
>
>  Using ease notation, you would so something like this (leaving out many of
>the details):

  Or you could just install the latest IDA version, which is set up to do
this with the declaration of one or two keywords in you .m4 file you use to
construct sendmail.cf

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.174745.14340@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   By the way, if you don't have ease, then you should get it :-).  I believe
> it was posted in comp.sources.misc recently, and it takes much of the stress
> out of sendmail config files.

It was in alt.sources. I am working on Ease 3.2, and plan to send it
to comp.sources.unix when I get some free time. :-(
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett