[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail and uucp

evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) (04/05/91)

[I'm a novice sendmail configurer be gentle]

We've got a machine that needs to be able to talk staright old fashion uucp
to some machines and smtp to other machines.  The machine has a non-standard
implementation of sockets (EXOS) so for the time being I'd preferr to avoid
porting IDA if at all possible.

I installed sendmail, struggled with the configuration, and basically got it
working.  The one catch I had was that I had to link /bin/rmail to sendmail
to allow the uucp sites to mail to the smtp sites via the central machine.

Everything works fine, except that mail from the uucp sites to the smtp sites
comes through had being from uucp@gateway-site.

Somebody must have done this before.  Any suggestions?

/Evan
Evan Bigall, Plexus Software, Santa Clara CA (408)982-4840  ...!sun!plx!evan
"I barely have the authority to speak for myself, certainly not anybody else"

In article <2570@plx.UUCP> evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) writes:

>I installed sendmail, struggled with the configuration, and basically got it
>working.  The one catch I had was that I had to link /bin/rmail to sendmail
>to allow the uucp sites to mail to the smtp sites via the central machine.
>
>Everything works fine, except that mail from the uucp sites to the smtp sites
>comes through had being from uucp@gateway-site.

  Pick up some sendmail sources somewhere.  You can use the Berkeley
version or the IDA version.  Look in the directory rmail.  Compile and
install this rmail, instead of using your link.  Since rmail is a
relatively simple program, you should not have too much difficulty.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.212746.10795@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

     Pick up some sendmail sources somewhere.  You can use the Berkeley
   version or the IDA version.  Look in the directory rmail.  Compile and
   install this rmail, instead of using your link.  Since rmail is a
   relatively simple program, you should not have too much difficulty.

Took 10 minutes, and works.

Thanks,
/Evan