[comp.mail.sendmail] makeconnection: server "smtp" unknown: Address already in use

negaret@cicb.fr (Roger Negaret - CICB Rennes 99.36.20.00) (04/02/91)

I am administering a gateway machine and I frequently see the following error
messages:

451 makeconnection: server "smtp" unknown: Address already in use
554 cicb (ether)... 554 System file missing
554 picheral@CICB.FR... System file missing

I don't understand what is happening there. I will be very pleased if somebody
can help me on this.
Thanks.
Roger Negaret	CICB Campus de Beaulieu 	35042 Rennes Cedex   France
Phone:  99 36 20 00	Fax:    99 38 38 32	Telex:  UNIRISA 950 473F
E-mail: negaret@cicb.fr

anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu (Ed Anselmo) (04/09/91)

> 451 makeconnection: server "smtp" unknown: Address already in use
> 554 cicb (ether)... 554 System file missing
> 554 picheral@CICB.FR... System file missing

I've seen this error message when a YP/NIS server doesn't respond in
time, and getservbyname() returns an error.  Usually it's because a
faster machine has done a ypbind to a slow (typically overloaded)
machine,
--
Ed Anselmo   anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu   {harvard,cmcl2}!yale!anselmo-ed

k2@bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (04/09/91)

anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu (Ed Anselmo) writes:

>>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>> 451 makeconnection: server "smtp" unknown: Address already in use
>> 554 cicb (ether)... 554 System file missing
>> 554 picheral@CICB.FR... System file missing

>I've seen this error message when a YP/NIS server doesn't respond in
>time, and getservbyname() returns an error.  Usually it's because a
>faster machine has done a ypbind to a slow (typically overloaded)
>machine,

I've seen this error many times, some machines have a problem with
ypserv. The symptom of the problem is that sometimes getservbyname
(and propably other yp calls) returns a NULL-POINTER instead off the
correct result. We found this error on our PCS-Cadmus and on our
CDC (Mips) machines. Due to patch information we got from CDC and PCS,
ypserv has problems with simultaneous accesses off two or more clients.
Due to the patch information from CDC, the problem is located in libdbm.

Testing for this problem is simple. Write a program, which makes
a call to getservbyname in a endless loop, with a service-name which
is well known (e.g. getservbyname("time","tcp")). Print a error message,
if a Null-Pointer is returned, and run this program twice at a time.

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende