[comp.mail.sendmail] Getting rid of quotation marks with sendmail.cf

cohen@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Cohen) (04/13/91)

Does anyone know how to get sendmail to delete quotation marks
appearing in a return address? We have mail forwarded from
a Decnet host using Multinet to Unix hosts, and the return addresses
contain quotation marks that muck up replies.  Everything
works if the quotation marks are removed by hand.  Is there
a way to do this automatically?  Thanks.
   Ron Cohen

In article <1991Apr12.185304.24614@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cohen@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Cohen) writes:
>Does anyone know how to get sendmail to delete quotation marks
>appearing in a return address? We have mail forwarded from
>a Decnet host using Multinet to Unix hosts, and the return addresses
>contain quotation marks that muck up replies.  Everything
>works if the quotation marks are removed by hand.  Is there
>a way to do this automatically?  Thanks.
>   Ron Cohen

  Basically, this cannot be done in a standard 'sendmail', other than by
outputting the message to a special mailer which does the unquoting.  (You
can make the special mailer just a pipe back into sendmail, if you give
the mailer the 's' flag).

  With an enhanced sendmail, such as the IDA versions, this is possible
directly.  In fact it is done in the version currently available from
uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (for DECNET address).

  There are many pitfalls, and we have fallen into some of the pits.  I think
the current IDA version avoids most of them.  For example, you have to be
careful to not unquote something like "|/bin/cat >> /usr/foo/mailbox", since
unquoting this will result in an invalid address (unbalanced '>' brackets).

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940