[comp.mail.sendmail] How does one send mail to a CompuServe user?

segordon@amherst.bitnet (03/28/91)

Hi, could someone please tell me how to address mail (from an internet
site) to a CompuServe user?   E-mail would be appreciated.

					thanks, segordon@amherst.bitnet
						gordon@huey.phast.umass.edu

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (04/08/91)

segordon@amherst.bitnet writes:

>Hi, could someone please tell me how to address mail (from an internet
>site) to a CompuServe user?   E-mail would be appreciated.

>					thanks, segordon@amherst.bitnet
>						gordon@huey.phast.umass.edu

Below is what I received from the postmaster at compuserve.com a few weeks ago.
I'm posting this for general interest - apologies if you think that a bad thing.

-dan

From: POSTMASTER@compuserve.com
To: Daniel Chaney <chaney@ms.uky.edu>
Subject: Re: Info Request

I've enclosed the standard "Addressing CompuServe Mail users" document.
If you have more specific questions, let me know.

Kathy Chevrier, CompuServe Incorporated           POSTMASTER@COMPUSERVE.COM
5000 Arlington Centre Blvd, Columbus, OH  43220   +1 614 457-8600

Subject: Addressing CompuServe Mail users

There are two types of CompuServe Mail addresses.  They can be
reached from the Internet as follows:

a) Members of the CompuServe Information Service have an address
   (a.k.a. User ID) of the form "xxxxx,yyyy", such as "70000,11".
   To send mail to such an address from the Internet, change the
   comma to a period and attach "@CompuServe.com".  For instance:
        70000.11@CompuServe.com

b) Members of organizations with a private CompuServe Mail area have
   an address of the form "organization:name", such as "ABC:J.SMITH".
   To send mail to such an address from the Internet, send it to
   "name@organization.CompuServe.com".  For instance:
        J.SMITH@ABC.CompuServe.com

   A few organizations have addresses which also include a department
   in the form "organization:department:name", such as
   "ABC:ACCTG:JOHN".  To send mail to such an address from the
   Internet, send to "name@department.organization.CompuServe.com".
   For instance:
        JOHN@ACCTG.ABC.CompuServe.com

There are also a number of special destinations available to users of
CompuServe Mail which are NOT accessible from the Internet,
including:

    Facsimile Delivery    (e.g. >FAX: )
    Postal Delivery       (e.g. >POSTAL: )
    Telex Delivery        (e.g. >TLX: )
    MCI Mail Delivery     (e.g. >MCIMAIL: )

Finally, please realize that only CompuServe Mail users have access
to our member directory.  Since there is no mechanism for you to
obtain addresses directly from CompuServe Incorporated, you should
obtain this information from the individuals with whom you wish to
correspond.  Thank you.

-dan
--
-- Daniel Chaney                                                             --
-- postmaster, newsguy, main archiver for ms.uky.edu (Univ of KY Math Sci)   --

beh@wookumz.bu.edu (Bruce E. Howells) (04/21/91)

That compuserve.com address will cause problems for mailers which can not
resolve MX records - spent a bit of time fighting with such a relic over at
BU.

If your mailer does not recognize compuserve.com, try routing via
saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu.  Ask someone local about how to do this - if
your mailer can't cope with MXs, it's messed enough to be strange.  (A good
first guess would be nnnnn.nnnn%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu)

Bruce Howells,  beh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

In article <BEH.91Apr20212816@wookumz.bu.edu> beh@wookumz.bu.edu (Bruce E. Howells) writes:

>That compuserve.com address will cause problems for mailers which can not
>resolve MX records - spent a bit of time fighting with such a relic over at
>BU.
>
>If your mailer does not recognize compuserve.com, try routing via
>saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu.  Ask someone local about how to do this - if
>your mailer can't cope with MXs, it's messed enough to be strange.  (A good
>first guess would be nnnnn.nnnn%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu)

 That sounds like bad advice.

 If your mailer does not recognize MX records, junk it and get a decent one.
The software you will need is probably as close as your nearest ftp archive
site.  (It might even be on your machine already under the name
'/usr/lib/sendmail.mx').

 If, for some reason you are really stuck with a bad mailer, configure it to
send all outgoing SMTP mail to a friendly relay host which does have a
decent mailer.  Obviously you should coordinate this with the admin of the
relay host.

 If you don't administer the machine, and can't change it, explain the problem
to your administrator and encourage him to change it.

 If you can't use MX records, getting to 'compuserve.com' is only one of your
problems.  There are many sites you will not be able to send mail to.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940