[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail.cf as a program

ylee@csl.dl.nec.com (Ying-Da Lee) (04/25/91)

In article <129678@uunet.UU.NET> kyle@uunet.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) writes:
>ylee@csl.dl.nec.com (Ying-Da Lee) writes:
> > Why don't the basic principles of good programming
> > apply in sendmail.cf?  It IS programming, isn't it?
>
>You answered your own question.  For most people it's not
>programming at all--- more likely it's taking an existing
>configuration, no matter how rotten that config file might be,
>and tweaking it until things start working.  This explains why
>there are some many convoluted sendmail.cf files out there.  Lots
>can be simplified, but not without considerable work.  Most
>people would rather be doing just about anything else.

But somebody have to write the sendmail.cf "templates" first,
and that is programming.  Even if we don't all want to do it
ourselves, or perhaps especially since we don't all want to
do it ourselves, we certainly want it to be clean, versatile
efficient, and well-documented.

If your sendmail accepts -d option, try doing

/usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d21.30
0 user@abc.edu

plus a few others of your favorite addresses.  This gives
you a rule-by-rule trace. I believe many people will
be astounded by the volume of the output, and quite a
few will notice lots of completely useless rules being
applied over and over.  I did it the first time soon after
the thrill of having configured a working sendmail.cf, and
it left me with no doubt that we deserve better.

	Ying-Da Lee			(214)518-3490
	C&C Software Development Lab
	NEC America			(214)518-3990 (FAX)
	ylee@csl.dl.nec.com