[comp.mail.sendmail] List of separators in sendmail

aggarwal@jvnc.net (Vikas Aggarwal) (04/26/91)

I am running the latest version of sendmail from Berkeley on a couple of
Suns.

I need to configure my sendmail to start accepting mail for user@foo.com, as
well as users@another.foo2 and so on.

The problem I have is that I cannot define a *class* of domains to match-
since the '.' exists in the list of separators, the address 'foo.com'
resolves into two (three) tokens -"foo" and "com". When asked to match any
of the domains (names) in the class X (using $=X), no match is found because
the mailer tries to match the split up tokens against the full names.

	foo 	against 	foo.com, another.foo2
	com 	against 	  - do -

(For those interested, they can see STAB at work by running sendmail in test
mode using '-d36.5').

My question is  this  -  "Can   I safely remove   the '.' from  the  list of
separators in the config file (Do.:%@!^=/[]) ??"

Without the '.', the token matching works just the way I want it to.

I just want some input before I screw up a lot of mail (my host is used as a
pretty large gateway so I have to be careful).

P.S. I remember seeing  something on the  net about the  Ida sendmail mailer
where  they had  mentioned  that  the '.' in   the list of  separators was a
carryover from teh old Berknet days and should be removed.

I hope this has not  been discussed before. I  am  new to this group. Direct
replies would be appreciated.

-vikas
vikas@jvnc.net						(609) 258-2403
Network Engineering					         -2400
			JvNCnet, Princeton, NJ

In article <1991Apr26.045337.10580@jvnc.net> vikas@r2d2.jvnc.net (Vikas Aggarwal) writes:
>I am running the latest version of sendmail from Berkeley on a couple of
>Suns.

 Both the IDA versions of sendmail and your Sun supplied 'sendmail' support
multi-token class matches.

>My question is  this  -  "Can   I safely remove   the '.' from  the  list of
>separators in the config file (Do.:%@!^=/[]) ??"

 If you do this you lose all ability to recognize address such as node.BITNET
or node.UUCP and treat them differently from mail with Internet addresses.  You
lose a great deal of flexibility.

>P.S. I remember seeing  something on the  net about the  Ida sendmail mailer
>where  they had  mentioned  that  the '.' in   the list of  separators was a
>carryover from teh old Berknet days and should be removed.

 This was a comment about addresses of the form x.y without any '@' in it
at all.  It had nothing to do with the '.' within domain specifications.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940