[comp.mail.sendmail] From: , relaying and FAQ

osvaldo@sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) (04/27/91)

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question to the net on how to direct
all my domain style traffic to the correct point.  Thanks to all that
responded.  (Thanks again to Neil Rickert).

I'm still struggling with sendmail.cf, though.  I have two problems:

1.  My From: lines look awful.  I'd like them to have my domain name.
   Something like osvaldo@silver.sansoft.com (Osvaldo Gold).
   What is it that I can do to have this?

   As a side note:

   Not only they list a uucp path, but it seems that all addresses are
   transformed into my fully qualified domain name at some point.  When
   rule 13 is called, (my uucp mailer definition has S=13 and R=23) it
   already receives something like osvaldo@silver.sansoft.com.  In the end,
   my From: line looks like silver!silver.sansoft.com!osvaldo.   I played
   around trying to find my own domain and rewriting the address without the
   domain in rule 13.  It works fine when I run sendmail -bt -d21.30 and I
   invoke '13 osvaldo@silver.sansoft.com'.  I.e. I get silver!osvaldo.   But
   my From: lines still didn't change.

2.  silver has a uucp connection to the machine that has the uucp connection
   to the outside world for sansoft.com.  At this point, all users that are
   on silver and wish to receive mail from the outside have an account in the
   server machine with a .forward file.  What can I do to sendmail.cf so
   that stuff that is directed to user@silver.sansoft.com gets sent to silver
   automatically.  I tried playing with this too.  The best I got so far was
   to rewrite user@silver.sansoft.com as silver!user@ and I just don't know
   why I'm getting the @-sign at the end.

And another question:  what is the ruleset sequence that is called for any
address?  I see rules in my sendmail.cf that nobody calls explicitly.  By
now I realize that ruleset 3 is always called.  When I run sendmail with
the -bt option on an SCO System V and I type something like '0 osvaldo', I
get all the rules that are called from ruleset 0.  When I run it on an RS6000,
I just get the output of ruleset 0.  When I play with the RS6000 I find it
much easier to kill and restart sendmail when I need to test something.
Anything wrong here?

I see a lot of these questions coming up and I guess the answers go to those
people by direct e-mail.  Should we compile a FAQ?  I'll offer my help since
I owe to this group the sanity of my sendmail configurations.  I would need
submissions with questions and answers.  If you have copies of questions you
asked and answers you received, please send them to me.  Eventually there'll
be a FAQ posting.

Osvaldo Gold                       osvaldo@sos.com
                         ...[uunet]!uupsi!sos.com!osvaldo
These opinions are only my own.  SOS has nothing to do with them.

In article <227@sos.com> osvaldo@sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) writes:
>I'm still struggling with sendmail.cf, though.  I have two problems:
>
>1.  My From: lines look awful.  I'd like them to have my domain name.
>   Something like osvaldo@silver.sansoft.com (Osvaldo Gold).
>   What is it that I can do to have this?

 The difficulty here is that you need the uucp style from addresses on the
envelope (the unix 'From ' line at the top), and conventional versions of
sendmail will rewrite the address in the 'From:' header the same way as
it rewrites the address on the envelope.  Your best bet might be to pick up
the IDA versions of sendmail which support different rewriting strategies for
header and envelope.  You might just find it will generate (with m4) a
configuration file which meets your needs.

>And another question:  what is the ruleset sequence that is called for any
>address?  I see rules in my sendmail.cf that nobody calls explicitly.  By

 I will try to write up and post a reasonably complete description.  If you
wish to repost it from time to time as part of a FAQ, that is your choice.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940