[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail address rewrite sequence

In article <1991Apr26.203000.20858@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>In article <227@sos.com> osvaldo@sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) writes:
>
>>And another question:  what is the ruleset sequence that is called for any
>>address?  I see rules in my sendmail.cf that nobody calls explicitly.  By
>
> I will try to write up and post a reasonably complete description.  If you
>wish to repost it from time to time as part of a FAQ, that is your choice.

  Well, here is the promised description.  Apologies for its length, but
I don't know how to keep it shorter yet have it contain enough information
to be useful.
		 ----------------------------

                  ADDRESS REWRITING IN SENDMAIL.

 Prepared by Neil Rickert, Northern Illinois University, Apr 29, 1991.
 <rickert@cs.niu.edu>

 The author of this document has no relation whatsoever with the developers of
sendmail at Berkeley.  Consequently any errors are in no way the fault of
Berkeley.  No guarantee is made as to the accuracy of this document.  Those
who wish guaranteed accurate information must read the source code themselves.

 Any comments or corrections are welcome.

                     -------------------------

 This description is intended to be a more thorough description of address
parsing than is contained in the usual manual.  Some basic familiarity with
the manual is assumed.  In particular, we do not attempt to explain the
rewriting which occurs in a single rule, or the process in which an address
passes from one rule to the next.

 The description contains a few oversimplifications, such as omitting mention
of some special cases during internal processing of alias expansions.  These
simplifications are not directly related to the main issues covered.

 I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of this document.  It is based on
experience with developing and debugging rulesets, and with reading parts of
the code.  It mostly reflects my understanding of the status of sendmail based
on the 5.65+IDA versions but with some cross checks with the Berkeley 5.65
code.

1.  A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THE REWRITING PROCESS.

    Each address is initially rewritten by ruleset 3.  Thereafter the
    processing depends on whether this is a recipient address or a sender
    address.  A sender address is processed by ruleset 1, then by the ruleset
    declared in the mailer, and finally by ruleset 4.  A recipient address,
    after processing by ruleset 3, is normally processed by ruleset 2, the
    ruleset declared in the mailer, and by ruleset 4.

    The above description is, of course, a gross oversimplification.  We shall
    fill in some of the details below.

2.  BASIC ADDRESS PARSING.

    In order to send a message, the recipient address must be parsed, so as to
    determine the transport mechanism and the next step in the chain of mail
    relays.  This is handled in the function parseaddr(), which is in
    parseaddr.c

    The basic parsing strategy is as follows:

    As with all rewriting, the address is first rewritten by ruleset 3.  The
    result of this rewrite is now rewritten by ruleset 0.  The purpose of
    ruleset 0 is to resolve the address into a triple: Mailer, Host,
    User_address.  This resolution occurs when the left hand side matches a
    suitable rule, and the RHS is rewritten as:

             $# MAILER_NAME $@ HOST_NAME $: USER_ADDRESS

    Apart from the exceptions noted below, every address must resolve into
    such a triple.  If not 'sendmail' will complain.  We should clarify,
    however, that the user address is allowed to contain a host component.
    Thus a UUCP address of john@uunet.UUCP might resolve to:
                      $# UUCP $@ uunet $: john
    while uunet!seismo!harry might resolve to
                       $# UUCP $@ uunet $: seismo!harry
    (In all the above examples the spacing is for readability.  We will comment
    more on spacing when we discuss the function prescan() later in this
    document).

    It should also be clarified that the HOST_NAME as returned by ruleset 0
    does not necessarily have anything to do with the domain component of the
    original address.  It is the name of the host to which the message will
    be next sent as known to the transmission software.  For the tcp mailers,
    this is the fully qualified domain name.  For other mailers it may be
    different.  In our example above, although the fully qualified uucp name
    of uunet may be uunet.UUCP, the name known to the uucp software is just
    uunet, so that must be the host name returned from ruleset 0.

    There are two exceptions to the above description.  The local mailer, and
    the ERROR mailer. Both of these must resolve to just MAILER_NAME and
    USER_ADDRESS, since a host does not make sense.  (The IDA versions of
    'sendmail' permit the use of a triple with the local mailer, but ignore
    the host).  In the case of the ERROR mailer, the USER_ADDRESS is actually
    the error message.  Thus one could imagine a rewrite rule in ruleset 0.

    R$+@annex1.$D           $#ERROR $:terminal servers don't accept mail

    It is a basic principle of 'sendmail' that ruleset 0 must select a mailer,
    even if only the ERROR mailer.

    An address which resolves to the ERROR mailer is said to be 'unparseable'
    and normally leads to bounced mail.

3.  DIFFERENT CLASSES OF ADDRESSES: ENVELOPES AND HEADERS.

    'sendmail' must deal with addresses on the message envelope, and addresses
    on the headers inside the message.  The distinction between envelope and
    header is quite important for an understanding of how 'sendmail'
    functions.  However it can be confusing at first.

    In basic terms, the "header recipients" are the addresses on the "To:" and
    "Cc:" header lines.  (We could include the "Bcc:" header, but this is
    usually discarded.)  The "header senders" are the addresses on the "From:"
    and the "Reply-To:" headers.  Sometimes there may also be "Resent-To:",
    "Resent-Cc:", "Resent-From:" headers with additional header addresses.

    The "envelope recipients" are the addresses the messages is really being
    sent to.  They are often different from the "header recipients".  The
    "envelope sender" is the real sender of the message, and is occasionally
    different from the "header senders".

    To the novice it often not obvious why there need be a distinction between
    header and envelope addresses.  When a typical message originates the
    envelope and header addresses are the same.  However much can change
    during processing. A message might be sent to two recipients A and B on
    different machines, host-A and host-B.  Initially both addresses are in
    the envelope.  However when the message is relayed to host-A, only
    recipient A remains in the envelope.  Likewise the copy of the message
    sent to host-B will contain only B in the envelope.  Roughly speaking, as
    a message is delivered to a recipient address, that address is deleted
    from the envelope.  However all recipient addresses remain in the headers,
    as these provide documentation to the human reader of the message as to
    whom the message was sent to.

    As another example, you may have a '.forward' file in your home directory
    to forward your mail.  The forwarding action applies only to the envelope
    recipients of a message, while the addresses on the header are not
    affected.

    The distinction between header senders and envelope sender is sometimes
    harder to explain.  We start with an example unrelated to computing.
    Suppose as a gift you purchase for a friend a subscription to "Scientific
    American".  As part of the process you fill out a gift card which the
    publishers will send.  When the gift card arrives, the card says it is
    from you.  However the return address on the envelope is that of
    Scientific American.  Essentially you were the header sender, but
    Scientific American was the envelope sender.  For a comparable example in
    computing, suppose you post an article in Usenet news.  This article comes
    from you, and this is shown in the "From:" header.  However at some other
    site, a copy of your article is mailed to someone without direct Usenet
    news access.  The Usenet news system on the mailing host is the real
    sender, or envelope sender, while as the author of the article you remain
    the header sender.

    In simple terms, the addresses in the headers are for humans to read,
    while the addresses in the envelope are for machines to read.

4.  WHERE DO ENVELOPES COME FROM AND WHERE DO THEY GO.

    When mail is sent or received over the network with SMTP, the envelope
    sender is transmitted first in the 'MAIL-From' SMTP command.  Then a
    sequence of 'RCPT-To' commands transfer the envelope recipients.

    When you send a normal message on your system, the Mail User Agent (MUA)
    invokes sendmail as:

    /usr/lib/sendmail recipient1 recipient2 recipient3 ...

    Thus the envelope recipients are passed as parameters on the argument
    list.  The envelope sender, in that case, is taken from the uid of the
    person sending the message.  It is also possible to invoke sendmail as

    /usr/lib/sendmail -fsender recipient1 recipient2 recipient3 ...

    and thereby give a separate envelope sender.  However sendmail normally
    will ignore the '-fsender' operand unless given by a trusted user such as
    'root' or 'uucp' or 'daemon'.

    When 'sendmail' invokes /bin/mail for delivery to your mailbox, it uses a
    parameter list something like:

    /bin/mail -r sender -d recipient1 recipient2 recipient3 ...

    Thus the envelope information is passed along to /bin/mail in a manner
    similar to the way 'sendmail' received it.  If mail is sent out through
    UUCP, the envelope sender is recorded on the unix "From " line which is
    the first line of the message, and the envelope recipients become the
    command operands to 'rmail' on the remote system.

5.  TOKENIZING AND REBUILDING ADDRESSES.  prescan() AND cataddr().

    Before an address it processed by one of the rewrite rulesets, it must be
    tokenized.  The rewriting rules only examine complete tokens and strings
    of tokens during their matching.  After the rewriting is complete the
    tokenized address must be converted back to a character string.  The
    function prescan() does the tokenizing, while cataddr() converts a
    tokenized address back to a character string.

    The output of prescan() is an array of strings, with one array entry for
    each token.  The tokenizing is done based on the characters in $o, defined
    in the line beginning 'Do' in 'sendmail.cf'.  There are, additionally, a
    few characters whose special handling is built into prescan().

    In an address such as the following (from RFC822):

         Wilt . (the Stilt) Chamberlain@NBA.US

    the parenthesized comments "(the Stilt)" are filtered out by prescan().
    (However when such an address appears on a header, the comments are saved
    for reinsertion after the address has been rewritten).  prescan() also
    insists on properly balanced parentheses and properly balanced <angle
    brackets>.  A string between "double quotes" becomes a single token.  With
    one exception, an escaped character (such as \@) loses any special
    properties.  Thus the address 'user@host' would ordinarily become the
    three tokens "user", "@", "host", while the address 'user\@host' becomes a
    single token.  The one exception to the backslash escaping is \!, which is
    simply converted to !.  The special handling is an attempt to be somewhat
    forgiving to csh users who sometimes become overly zealous in escaping
    their bangs.

    In tokenizing, special characters (those characters defined in $o) become
    single character special tokens.  A string of ordinary characters becomes
    a single token.  The space character, however, is never part of a token
    except when in a quoted string or when backslash escaped.  The space
    character is a token separator.  Thus the string AB become one token "AB",
    while the string A B becomes two tokens "A", "B".  A space before or after
    a special character, however, is completely superfluous.  Thus user @ host
    is tokenized as "user","@","host", exactly as would be user@host

    The function cataddr() sounds simple.  Just concatenate all the tokens to
    form a new string.  This is almost what it does.  But you have to make a
    special case where there are two ordinary tokens.  If 'A  B' is tokenized
    as "A","B", then just concatenating the strings would produce the
    incorrect 'AB'.  Instead, when cataddr() discovers two consecutive
    ordinary tokens, in inserts between them the space substitute character
    defined on the 'OB' line of 'sendmail.cf'.  In most versions of
    'sendmail.cf' this character is the period '.' leading to the effect that
    the original 'A B' was tokenized to "A","B", then is untokenized to 'A.B'
    If you don't like this, you can define the space substitute as a blank.
    If you do so, but forward the message to another 'sendmail' it will
    probably be converted to a period again.  (One problem with defining the
    space substitute as a blank is that this can easily become invisible in
    'sendmail.cf', and if it is accidently deleted you might find you are
    accidently defining the space substitute to be '\n' or '\0').

6.  THE C-FLAG PROCESSING.

    Certain mailers have the C flag set in their mailer definition.  If
    effects processing of addresses as follows:

    After an address has been rewritten by ruleset 3, a check is done to see
    if the address now contains an "@".  If it already contains an "@", then
    C-FLAG processing has no effect.  If there is no "@", the 'receiving
    mailer' is checked.  (The determination of the receiving mailer is
    described below).  If the receiving mailer has the C-FLAG defined, and if
    the sender address in $f contains an '@', everything from the '@' onward
    in $f is appended to the end of the address as outputted by ruleset 3, and
    the modified address is now reprocessed by ruleset 3.  The actual check
    for the '@' in $f is done while the sender address is still tokenized, so
    there is no additional call to prescan() in the C-FLAG processing.

7.  Mailer-specific rulesets.  A typical mailer definition looks something
    like the following:

    Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=MFlusr, S=10, R=12, A=mail -d $u

    Here the S= and R= operands specify address rewrite rulesets to be used
    for mail sent by this mailer.  The S= operand is for sender addresses, and
    the R= is for recipient addresses.  We shall refer to these as the mailer-
    specific rulesets.  In the IDA version of sendmail, these can optionally
    be specified as say S=13/15, etc.  This would use ruleset 13 for envelope
    sender addresses and ruleset 15 for header sender addresses.  The simple
    definition S=10 is equivalent to S=10/10.

    If the mailer specific ruleset is omitted, or is defined as 0, this means
    that there is no mailer-specific ruleset.  Ruleset 0 itself is never used
    as a mailer-specific ruleset.

8.  A MORE DETAILED LOOK AT SENDMAIL PROCESSING.

8a. Parsing the sender address.

    One of the first steps is to parse the envelope sender address.  This
    follows the procedure of address parsing as described above.

    prescan()
    rewrite with ruleset 3.
    rewrite with ruleset 0.
    rewrite the user address portion with rulesets 2, the mailer specific
    ruleset, and ruleset 4.
    process the output of ruleset 4 with cataddr()

    If the address proves unparseable a message is written to the log, and the
    address 'Postmaster' is parsed in its place.  One effect is that should
    the mail be undeliverable, and the sender address is unparseable, any
    bounced mail will in this case be delivered to Postmaster.

    The mailer returned from ruleset 0 is called the receiving mailer, and is
    examined for the presence of a C flag as discussed above in our
    description of C-FLAG processing.

    If the receiving mailer is the local mailer, the sender is assumed local.
    In that case the user address is looked up in the password file to find
    the full name (for possible use on the 'From:' header) and the home
    directory (in case the message should be stored in dead.letter).

8b. Defining $f.

    The sender address is processed with

    prescan()
    rulesets 3,1,4

    Search for an '@' in the address, and save a copy of the portion of the
    tokenized address starting with the '@', in case needed for C-FLAG
    processing.

    apply cataddr() to the output of ruleset 4, and save as the value of $f

    NOTE:  Even if the original address was determined to be unparseable in
    step 8a, and replaced by Postmaster, it is still the original address and
    not 'Postmaster' which is used for defining $f.  However there is one
    anomoly here.  If the message cannot be delivered immediately but must be
    queued, and if the original sender address was unparseable, the original
    sender address is not saved in the queue file, so the sender will become
    'Postmaster' in that case.

8c. Building the recipient list.

    Each envelope recipient address is now added to an internal list of
    recipients.  Before an address is added to the recipient list, it goes
    through the following procedures:

    prescan()
    rewrite with ruleset 3
    rewrite with ruleset 0
     The mailer and host returned are saved.  The user portion is further
    processed:
    rewrite with ruleset 2
    rewrite with the mailer specific ruleset (for the mailer returned by
       ruleset 0)
    rewrite with ruleset 4.
    cataddr()

    Next the recipient list is searched to see if this address already
    appears.  The search is based on a comparison of the mailer returned by
    ruleset 0, the host returned by ruleset 0 (except the host is ignored if
    the 'l' flag is set for the mailer), and the user name as output from
    cataddr().  If the address is a duplicate it is not actually added to the
    recipient list.

    Next the mailer is checked to see if the local mailer.  If so, the address
    is looked up in the aliases database.  If there is an aliases entry the
    current address is flagged QDONTSEND so that mail will not be sent to it,
    and each entry in the alias expansion recursively goes through the same
    process for adding to the recipient list.  An additional flag is set for
    aliases to indicate they are indeed aliases.

    Next, if the mailer is the local mailer, and if the QDONTSEND flag is not
    set, there is a test to see if the user address begins with '|' after
    removal of quotes.  If so, and if the address is from an alias expansion,
    the mailer is changed to the 'prog' mailer, and the initial '|' is
    removed.

    Next, if the mailer is local, the name is looked up in /etc/passwd, the
    home directory searched for a '.forward' file which, if found, is treated
    to similar processing as an aliases entry.

    If at any stage something goes wrong, the address is flagged as bad for a
    later bounce message.

8d. Beginning the delivery phase.

    Once the recipient list is complete, sendmail is ready to attempt
    delivery.  This involves running down the recipient list.  As an address
    is selected for a delivery attempt, it is marked QDONTSEND which is
    approximately the equivalent of deleting it from the recipient list.  This
    is to ensure it will not be sent twice.

    Once an address is found for a delivery attempt, a check is made to see if
    the 'm' flag is set in the mailer.  If so, sendmail will attempt to send
    to as many recipients with the same mailer/host combination as possible in
    a single operation.

    If delivery requires sending to several hosts, the next few steps will be
    repeated several times.

8e. Determining the envelope sender for delivery.

    Start with the expansion of $f
    prescan()
    rewrite with rulesets 3, C-FLAG processing, 1, the mailer specific
    ruleset, and 4.
    cataddr()
    The result is assigned to $g

    Note that, because of the way $f was originally determined, this means the
    original incoming address has been processed by 3,1,4,3,1,mailer
    specific,4

8f. Determining the command.

    The command (the P= and A= operands) from the mailer definition are now
    expanded, with $h evaluating to the host.  If there are multiple
    recipients, and $u is in the last argument, multiple such arguments are
    created, one for each recipient for this delivery transaction.  If there
    is no $u in the argument list, the SMTP protocol is used instead.

    For SMTP use only, the recipient address is now processed by
    prescan(), ruleset 3, C-FLAG processing, 2, mailer specific, 4, cataddr().
    The IDA versions, however, do not do this additional rewriting step which
    seems superfluous, and which could conceivably cause mailing loops because
    of the C-FLAG processing.

8g. Header rewriting.

    The headers are now sent to the mailer program as part of the message.
    Before sending them they are subject to any rewriting.  If the required
    'From:' header does not exist it is created from the definition in
    'sendmail.cf'.  If the required 'To:' is missing an 'Apparently-To:'
    header is created.

    A special word on the 'From:' header.  If the incoming message has a
    'From:' header whose contents are identical in all respects (except
    leading and trailing white space) to the envelope header, that 'From:'
    header is deleted.  The assumption is that it will be recreated with a
    chance of adding the full name.

8h. Header sender rewriting.

    The address is extracted from the 'From:' header and other similar headers
    such as 'Reply-To:' and 'Resent-From:', carefully saving the comments for
    later use.  The address is processed with
    prescan(), 3, C-FLAG processing, 1, Mailer specific, 4, cataddr().

    The IDA versions use ruleset 5 in place of ruleset 1.  This is part of the
    IDA strategy of allowing a distinction between the formatting of headers
    and the formatting of the envelope.

    If there was no "From:", or if it was deleted and must be recreated, the
    usual definition of "From:" in most version of 'sendmail.cf' begins with
    $g, or with $q which is defined in terms of $g.  In that case, and
    remembering how $f and then $g are determined, the address on the 'From:'
    goes through the following steps:

    incoming envelope sender
    prescan(), rulesets 3,1,4, cataddr()
    prescan(), rulesets 3, C-FLAG, 1, Mailer specific, 4, cataddr()
    prescan(), rulesets 3, C-FLAG, 1, Mailer specific, 4, cataddr()

    You will note the large amount of redundancy.  If designing rulesets you
    must keep this in mind.  In particular you should be wary of approaches
    which give different results depending on how many times the address is
    passed through rulesets 3,1,Mailer-specific,4.  In the current IDA/NIU
    rulesets, the $q variable is defined in terms of $f instead of $g, in
    order to eliminate the most troublesome one of these extra rewrites, in
    which a header address is rewritten with a mailer specific ruleset
    intended for envelope addresses only.

8i. Recipient header rewriting.

    Each recipient address on a "To:" or "Cc:" or "Apparently-To:" or
    "Resent-To:" or "Resent-Cc:" header goes through the following steps:

    prescan(), rulesets 3, C-FLAG, 2, Mailer specific, 4, cataddr().

    In the above, the IDA versions use ruleset 6 in place of ruleset 2.  Again
    this is to allow header addresses to be formatted differently from
    envelope addresses.

9.  GENERAL COMMENTS ON DESIGNING RULESETS.

    If you plan on designing your own 'sendmail.cf', or modifying an existing
    one to add more functionality, here are some things to keep in mind:

9a. Remember the C-FLAG.

    Because of the C-FLAG processing, it is desirable that every address which
    contains a host name should contain an '@' by the end of ruleset 3, and
    addresses without hostname should not have one added in ruleset 3.

    This also means that if you want to rewrite 'user' as
    'user@your.full.domain' you should not do it in ruleset 3, but should do
    it somewhat later.

    This means that an address like 'uunet!seismo!harry' needs to be converted
    to something like 'seismo!harry@uunet.UUCP' in ruleset 3, so as to ensure
    that there is an '@' in the address and C-FLAG processing doesn't
    incorrectly add another domain level.

9b. Make major rewriting steps reversible.

    Ideally any address processed by ruleset 3 followed by ruleset 4 should
    finish up in its original form.  Anything non-reversible done in ruleset 3
    can never be fully compensated for later.  This is difficult to do in
    practice, however.  In many versions of sendmail.cf, both 'uunet!john' and
    'john@uunet.uucp' will be rewritten as 'john<@uunet.UUCP>' in ruleset 3,
    so the original form cannot always be recovered by use of ruleset 4.  What
    is probably more critical is that using rulesets 3,4,3,4 should yield the
    same result as just using 3,4.  If your rulesets don't manage at least
    this degree of consistency you are likely to run into major problems.

    The IDA/NIU rulesets are pretty close to the ideal that ruleset 4
    completely reverse ruleset 3.  But to achieve this they use in internal
    form which only vaguely looks like the original address.  Thus in these
    ruleset 3 would rewrite 'uunet!john' as '<@uunet.UUCP>!john' while they
    would rewrite 'john@uunet.UUCP' as '<@uunet.UUCP>,john'.  And, of course,
    ruleset 4 is rather more complex also.  (This approach in IDA/NIU is not
    simply a matter of purism.  It has to do with the need to be able to
    unambiguously merge two addresses in the pathalias file lookup.)

9c. Allow for the fact that sender addresses may be rewritten multiple times.

    The habit of sendmail of reprocessing sender addresses can cause some
    problems and result in incorrect addresses if you do not properly allow
    for it.

9d. Be particularly cautious with how you handle envelope recipients.

    Basically if you mess these up, the mail probably won't go anywhere, or
    won't go where you want it.

    As an example, suppose I have a uucp neighbor 'uuhost'.  Suppose my
    neighbor wants all mail to leave in the format
    'uuhost!user@my.full.domain'.  Now it might be that I become a little too
    vigorous in my changes, and I even rewrite the addresses that way in mail
    sent to 'uuhost'.  If this happens to a header address the problem is not
    very serious.  At the worst, when someone on 'uuhost' sends a reply, the
    reply will be sent first to my system, then back to 'uuhost'.  But if I
    make the same transformation to the envelope, I will cause a mailing loop.
    In other words, if mail I see destined for 'uuhost!user' is sent to
    'uuhost' with the user address of 'uuhost!user@my.full.domain', the mailer
    on 'uuhost' is likely to just send it back.  Then the same thing happens
    over and over again.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940