[comp.mail.sendmail] incorporating message in repl

bstankie@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bozo) (05/03/91)

What is the best way of incorporating a message in a reply?  I have
seen a number of messages that put '>' at the beginning of each line
how is this done?

Thanks in advance
Brian Stankiewicz
bstankie@teri.bio.uci.edu

bill@thd.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (05/04/91)

In article <2820ED5C.27526@orion.oac.uci.edu> bstankie@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bozo) writes:
>What is the best way of incorporating a message in a reply?  I have
>seen a number of messages that put '>' at the beginning of each line
>how is this done?

It took me an entire morning to figure out how to do this.  If you're
using mh mail, create a file called .replfilter containing the
following:

---cut here---
:
body:component=">",compwidth=0
---cut here---

When you run repl, it will quote the text automatically and put in the
'>'s.  Using your editor, you can pare it down as you please, or delete
it entirely.

If you want to reply to a usenet article and are running rn, type R to
quote the text for an email reply, and F to quote the text for a
followup posting.  r and f work the same, but don't qoute any text.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@tv.tv.tek.com,           {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

bill@thd.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (05/04/91)

Oops.  I forgot to mention in my previous posting that you need to use
the command line switch -filter ~/.replfilter to make repl recognize
the .replfilter file.  In my case, I use the following alias:

alias repl -nocc all -cc cc -filter ~/.replfilter
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@tv.tv.tek.com,           {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill
Phone: (503) 627-6920                 "SCUD: Shoots Crooked, Usually Destroyed"

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (root@research.bdi.com (Systems Research Supervisor)) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.210646.24934@tvnews.tv.tek.com> bill@thd.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) writes:
=>
=>alias repl -nocc all -cc cc -filter ~/.replfilter

   Or put the line:

repl: -nocc all -cc cc -filter ~/.replfilter

in your ~/.mh_profile.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                            gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu
   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_

sanjiv@hoss.unl.edu (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) (05/05/91)

In <2820ED5C.27526@orion.oac.uci.edu> bstankie@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bozo) writes:

>What is the best way of incorporating a message in a reply?  I have
>seen a number of messages that put '>' at the beginning of each line
>how is this done?

In /bin/mail, use ~m to include the message being replied to.  It indents the
original message by a tab.  I used to do global substitution on tab till I
switched to elm.

--
Sanjiv K. Bhatia				Department of Computer Science
sanjiv@fergvax.unl.edu				Ferguson Hall 115

jeff@onion.rain.com (Jeff Beadles) (05/06/91)

[ Note:  Followups to comp.mail.mh, the group for questions about MH ]

bill@thd.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) writes:
>bstankie@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bozo) writes:
>>What is the best way of incorporating a message in a reply?  I have
>>seen a number of messages that put '>' at the beginning of each line
>>how is this done?

>---cut here---
>:
>body:component=">",compwidth=0
>---cut here---

>When you run repl, it will quote the text automatically and put in the
>'>'s.  Using your editor, you can pare it down as you please, or delete
>it entirely.

This isn't quite complete.  Before you do this, you must tell repl to use
this filter.  In your ~/.mh_profile, add the following;

repl: -filter ~/.Mail/replfilter

Note, if you already have a repl: line, just add the -filter ... to the end
of
it.

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		jeff@onion.rain.com

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (05/06/91)

Sanjiv> In <2820ED5C.27526@orion.oac.uci.edu> bstankie@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bozo) writes:

>What is the best way of incorporating a message in a reply?  I have
>seen a number of messages that put '>' at the beginning of each line
>how is this done?

Sanjiv> In /bin/mail, use ~m to include the message being replied to.
Sanjiv> It indents the original message by a tab.  I used to do global
Sanjiv> substitution on tab till I switched to elm.

With GNU Emacs' mail & add-on SuperCite package, as you see, I
automatically use your name instead of ">"'s ... (it doesn't disturb
existing ">"'s also)  See the gnu.emacs.* groups.

craig@med.unc.edu (Ron Craig) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May5.155751.10841@unlinfo.unl.edu> sanjiv@hoss.unl.edu (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) writes:
>In <2820ED5C.27526@orion.oac.uci.edu> bstankie@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bozo) writes:
>
>>What is the best way of incorporating a message in a reply?  I have
>>seen a number of messages that put '>' at the beginning of each line
>>how is this done?
>
>In /bin/mail, use ~m to include the message being replied to.  It indents the
>original message by a tab.  I used to do global substitution on tab till I
>switched to elm.

Add the following line to your .mailrc file to get the '>' instead of tab:
set indentprefix=>

That should do it!
--
 Ron Craig                    inet-   craig@med.unc.edu