[comp.mail.sendmail] Sample sendmail.cf

evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) (04/30/91)

Lately there have been some comments in this group that the .cf's distributed
by vendors are weak at best.  I for one don't really have access to much
else.  I took their samples and massaged it into something that basically
works (yes there are still problems).  If someone has better generic .cf's
why not post them so those of us in search of a clue can get a head start.

/Evan
--
Evan Bigall, Plexus Software, Santa Clara CA (408)982-4840
...!sun!plx!evan or evan%plx@sun.com

dnsurber@lescsse.jsc.nasa.gov (Douglas Surber) (05/02/91)

In <EVAN.91Apr30111938@plxsun.uucp> evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) writes:

>Lately there have been some comments in this group that the .cf's distributed
>by vendors are weak at best.  I for one don't really have access to much
>else.  I took their samples and massaged it into something that basically
>works (yes there are still problems).  If someone has better generic .cf's
>why not post them so those of us in search of a clue can get a head start.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a request for a generic .cf.  I got two
to summarizing, but I guess I should.

Karl Kleinpaste has developed a generic sendmail.cf file and made it
available for ftp from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu as pub/sendmail/Tut:sendmail.cf.
It is dependent on sendmail 5.61 and assumes a nameserver.  It is very
well documented and I have learned a lot reading it.  We don't use 5.61
yet nor do we have a nameserver so I can't use it :-(.

Thanks to Karl and Joe Hamlin for your replies.

Special thanks to Karl for the work that went in to developing this .cf.

--
Douglas Surber                 Internet: dsurber@nasamail.nasa.gov
Lockheed                       NASAmail: dsurber/jsc/nasa

elw@netxcom.netx.com (Edwin Wiles) (05/06/91)

In article <dnsurber.673121780@node_2204c> dsurber@nasamail.nasa.gov writes:
>In <EVAN.91Apr30111938@plxsun.uucp> evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) writes:
>>I took their samples and massaged it into something that basically
>>works (yes there are still problems).
>
>Karl Kleinpaste has developed a generic sendmail.cf file and made it
>available for ftp from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu as pub/sendmail/Tut:sendmail.cf.

Doug, Evan,
    And anyone else out there strugling with sendmail.cf files.

	If you've already got a sendmail.cf that mostly works, lay hands
    on the "ease" program and use it.  It makes understanding and modifying
    sendmail.cf files MUCH easier.  (Check your local comp.sources.unix
    archives, in volume 17, for a package named "ease2".  DO NOT ask me
    for source or binaries!)
	Unfortunately, it is a bit of a bear to get running, mainly due to
    two problems:

	1) The "cfc" program, which takes an existing sendmail.cf file
	and does *most* of the translation work into "ease", will dump
	garbage into the output (including nulls) if there are any
	syntactical errors in the sendmail.cf file.
	    I was initial unaware of this, and presumed it was an error
	in the cfc code, having heard that EASE had several problems.
	    I later discovered (after much headpounding) that the .cf
	file was missing "$" in front of ":", in several locations.
	After fixing that, the cfc output was fine.

	2) The "et" (ease translator) program makes use of a YACC generated
	parser that uses "free()" to release memory apparently allocated
	durring translation.  Unfortunately, on my machine (a 386 IBM PC
	clone, running SCO Xenix), an attempt to free a null pointer will
	get you a memory fault core dump.
	    I fixed that by substituting "Xfree(...)" for all occurances
	of "free(...)" in the parser source, and defining:

#define Xfree( a )	{ if ( a != NULL ) free ( a ); }

    After fixing the above two problems, I discovered a number of errors
    in our sendmail.cf file, fixed those, did a lot more work getting
    the EASE file to compile without errors, and then went about figuring
    out how to twist it to make it do what we needed here.
	From my prior experience trying to do this with just sendmail.cf
    files to look at, I can honestly say that it's a lot easier with EASE.

					    Enjoy!
						    Edwin (elw@netx.com)

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (05/11/91)

In article <176@netxcom.netx.com> elw@netxcom.netx.com (Edwin Wiles) writes:

>	   If you've already got a sendmail.cf that mostly works, lay hands
>       on the "ease" program and use it.  It makes understanding and modifying
>       sendmail.cf files MUCH easier.  (Check your local comp.sources.unix
>       archives, in volume 17, for a package named "ease2".  DO NOT ask me
>       for source or binaries!)

Ease 2 has several problems. I am currently working on Ease 3.2 Beta.
Send me mail if you want it. I posted it to alt.sources a while ago.

>	   Unfortunately, it is a bit of a bear to get running, mainly due to
>       two problems:
>
>	   1) The "cfc" program, which takes an existing sendmail.cf file
>	   and does *most* of the translation work into "ease", will dump
>	   garbage into the output (including nulls) if there are any
>	   syntactical errors in the sendmail.cf file.

This is one area I spent a lot of time fixing. I made major changes to
ease and cfc (I was not the original author or either) just so I could
convert a *.cf file into ease, and convert the ease back into *.cf,
and compare the two. In 99% of the cases files I have tried, I
could convert back and forth with no errors (warnings - yes) and just
a few cosmetic differences changes.

>	   2) The "et" (ease translator) program makes use of a YACC generated
>	   parser that uses "free()" to release memory apparently allocated
>	   durring translation.  Unfortunately, on my machine (a 386 IBM PC
>	   clone, running SCO Xenix), an attempt to free a null pointer will
>	   get you a memory fault core dump.

Yes - I fixed this is Ease 3.1. I would have fixed it sooner but my
machine never complained about it, and I don't have Saber-C.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett