[net.games.trivia] Classic Cartoon Quotes

chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (10/24/85)

turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) says:

>and from the same F. (trivia-whats the F stand for) Leghorn

Let me be the 571st person to say that it stands for Foghorn.  A truly
wonderful character borrowed from an old movie about a senator with,
I believe, the same name.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	If things don't change, they will probably remain the same.

bhayes@Glacier.ARPA (Barry Hayes) (10/29/85)

In article <130@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) says:
>>
>>and from the same F. (trivia-whats the F stand for) Leghorn
>>

>Let me be the 571st person to say that it stands for Foghorn.  A truly
>wonderful character borrowed from an old movie about a senator with,
>I believe, the same name.

This is not true, but very close.  I will drink a toast in
very good whiskey to anyone who knows who Foghorn is indeed
based on.
 -Trivia, Ltd.
  Barry Hayes
  Consulting Director and sole employee

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (10/30/85)

In article <416@unc.unc.UUCP>, beard@unc.UUCP (David Beard) writes:
> I need the name of the cartoon and the rest of a Bug's song.
>
> Situation: Elmer has dug up Bugs and carried him to his top floor
> apt.
	Actually Elmer had dug up a rare flower, Bug's hole just happened
to be next to the flower.

>  Bugs wakes up, walks inside to the HUGE Roman bathtub, and
> starts swimming.  At this point he sings a song that starts out with:
>
> 	"Be it ever so crumbly, there's no place like Rome"
	Oh Nero was the Emporer and the palace was his home.
	But he liked to play with matches and soon a fire yerned.
	(Bugs comes out of bath, taps on piano to get the right
	note and goes "yerrrned")
	So he burned Rome to ashes and fiddled while it burned.
		^
		+ not sure of this word

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

keesan@bbncc5.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) (10/31/85)

In article <150@Glacier.ARPA> bhayes@Glacier.UUCP (Barry Hayes) writes:
>In article <130@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>>turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) says:
>>>and from the same F. (trivia-whats the F stand for) Leghorn
>>Let me be the 571st person to say that it stands for Foghorn.  A truly
>>wonderful character borrowed from an old movie about a senator with,
>>I believe, the same name.
>This is not true, but very close.  I will drink a toast in
>very good whiskey to anyone who knows who Foghorn is indeed
>based on.

    Foghorn Leghorn is of course based on Senator Claghorn, one of the denizens
of Allen's Alley, from the Fred Allen radio program.
    "It's good, I say, it's good to see Senator Aiken back.  'Aiken back' --
that's a joke, son."
    Drink some of The Glenlivet for me.

    Further trivia question:  what other cartoon character is based at least in
part on Senator Claghorn, and what TV program did he appear on?

--
Morris M. Keesan
keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA

lip@gcc-milo.ARPA (Seth Lipkin) (10/31/85)

>This is not true, but very close.  I will drink a toast in
>very good whiskey to anyone who knows who Foghorn is indeed
>based on.

He is based on a Senator Foghorn, from an old radio show.

---------
Seth Lipkin
General Computer Company
harvard!gcc-milo!lip

"...about as sharp as a sack of wet mice."

taub@ttidcb.UUCP (Roland Taub) (11/01/85)

In article <150@Glacier.ARPA> bhayes@Glacier.UUCP (Barry Hayes) writes:

>>Let me be the 571st person to say that it stands for Foghorn.  A truly
>>wonderful character borrowed from an old movie about a senator with,
>>
>This is not true, but very close.  I will drink a toast in
>very good whiskey to anyone who knows who Foghorn is indeed
>based on.
> -Trivia, Ltd.
>  Barry Hayes
>  Consulting Director and sole employee

** My first posting ever **

Start pouring, Barry!

"Foghorn Leghorn" is taken from a character that was popular on the
old Fred Allen's "Allen's Alley". He was called Senator Claghorn and
had the same "voice" as F. Leghorn, although not done by the same actor.
I can't recall the actor on the Fred Allen show, but it was
Kenny *something*. BTW this goes back to the '40's, which is why most
of you don't know about it - but I remember listening to those shows 'live'.

-RAT-
--
Roland A. Taub (RAT)              "I'm not very smart, but I'm tall."
Citicorp/TTI

sct@lanl.ARPA (11/01/85)

>    Foghorn Leghorn is of course based on Senator Claghorn, one of the denizens
>of Allen's Alley, from the Fred Allen radio program.
>    "It's good, I say, it's good to see Senator Aiken back.  'Aiken back' --
>that's a joke, son."
>    Drink some of The Glenlivet for me.
>
>    Further trivia question:  what other cartoon character is based at least in
>part on Senator Claghorn, and what TV program did he appear on?

	Could it be good old Huckelberry Hound?

bhayes@Glacier.ARPA (Barry Hayes) (11/02/85)

In article <940@bbncc5.UUCP> keesan@bbncc5.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) writes:
>In article <150@Glacier.ARPA> bhayes@Glacier.UUCP (Barry Hayes) writes:
>>In article <130@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>>>turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) says:
>>>Let me be the 571st person to say that it stands for Foghorn.  A truly
>>>wonderful character borrowed from an old movie about a senator with,
>>>I believe, the same name.
>>This is not true, but very close.  I will drink a toast in
>>very good whiskey to anyone who knows who Foghorn is indeed
>>based on.
>
>    Foghorn Leghorn is of course based on Senator Claghorn, one of the denizens
>of Allen's Alley, from the Fred Allen radio program.
>    "It's good, I say, it's good to see Senator Aiken back.  'Aiken back' --
>that's a joke, son."
>    Drink some of The Glenlivet for me.
>
>    Further trivia question:  what other cartoon character is based at least in
>part on Senator Claghorn, and what TV program did he appear on?
>
>--
>Morris M. Keesan
>keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA
>{decvax,ihnp4,etc.}!bbncca!keesan

Well, well, well.  Morris has let the cat out of the bag.  Indeed, it's our
old friend Senator Claghorn back from Washington.  He was a regular on
Allen's Alley on the Fred Allen show.  Sorry to say, I don't know who played
him.  Such is fame.  The show also went a very short time on TV, by the way.

A wee dram for
 John Ruschmeyer <John@moncol>
 David A Smallberg <das@locus>
who also knew this one.

By the way, it's Caol Ila I drink, not Glenlivet.  If any of you
want to send me a bottle, I'll be happy to let you.