[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail.cf

tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) (09/08/89)

Recently I have been getting involved with sendmail as part of several
different TCP/IP products.  None of them have a description of the
sendmail.cf file.  They provide one that seems to work but nothing on
format, changes, etc.  While I have no reason to distrust anyone, I
would like to decipher what this file is telling sendmail to do.  Who
knows, I may not like some of it and wish to change it.

Does anyone have or know of any reference that describes the format and
contents of a sendmail.cf file?  Inquiring minds want to know.

--
* Tom Moore                NCR Corporation  PCD-6              (513) 445-1373 *
* Consulting Analyst       1700 S. Patterson Blvd.         VOICEplus 622-1373 *

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (09/09/89)

tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) writes:

>Does anyone have or know of any reference that describes the format and
>contents of a sendmail.cf file?  Inquiring minds want to know.

You may want to consider looking at the EASE package.  This program
defines a configuration language for sendmail, which gets compiled
into the desired sendmail.cf file.  The documentation is pretty good
at describing what all the gobbledy-gook in the configuration file
does, and makes it a lot easier to follow when in ease format.

Check around your local archive sites; this package is well worth having.
It was written, I believe, by James S. Schoner of Purdue.

						-- Tim
--
Tim Northrup      		  +------------------------------------------+
+---------------------------------+         GEnie:  T.Northrup               |

ph@dde.dk (Peter Heick) (09/12/89)

tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) writes:

>Does anyone have or know of any reference that describes the format and
>contents of a sendmail.cf file?  Inquiring minds want to know.

There are two doc files distributed with sendmail
"doc/intro.me" and "doc/op.me", the latter contains a document named
"Sendmail Installation and Operation Guide"
This document describes the sendmail.cf file.
--
Peter Heick
Dansk Data Elektronik A/S, Herlev, Denmark

waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Jerry Waldorf) (09/08/90)

	I have added a few lines to my sendmail.cf and its not doing what I want
The lines I added were as follows:
#Ruleset 0

R$*.error		$#ddnerror$:$1

#local mailers

Mddnerror,	P=/users/waldorf/error,	F=DFMPlms,	S=10,	R=20,	A=error

My error program is this:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(argc, argv)
  int argc;
  char *argv[];
{
  char c;

  while((c = getc(stdin)) != EOF) {
	fprintf(stdout, "%c", c);
  }
}

All my error program does is this:

/usr/lib/sendmail -v users.error < testfile
users.error... Connecting to (ddnerror)...
users.error... Executing "/users/waldorf/error"

And it just sits there.  So I think that sendmail is not piping
the message into stdin of my process because if I just put a printf
in the error program it works fine.  So I guess that my program is
not getting any input.  So It must be in the config file.  So what
am I doing wrong?  How do I get sendmail to pipe stdout to stdin of
the Mailer program?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J. Waldorf

kre@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) (09/09/90)

In article <806@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Jerry Waldorf) writes:

> Mddnerror,	P=/users/waldorf/error,	F=DFMPlms,	S=10,	R=20,	A=error
>
> So I guess that my program is not getting any input.
> So It must be in the config file.

yes, and yes.   Sendmail believes that its mailers are intended to
deliver mail ... to do that, they have to be told the user name,
somewhere.   That means that either the $u macro is used on the
arg list (somewhere in the A= list) or sendmail will talk to
your program using SMTP (through a pipe).

Since you aren't using $u, sendmail is sitting there waiting
for your program to return the "220" welcome message.

Since your prog doesn't look at its args, just make it be A=error $u

kre

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (12/15/90)

I'm trying to get an Internet<=>Usenet gateway set up at a local university.
Unfortunately I (nor they) know anything about sendmail and about rewriting
rules etc.  So I would appreciate it if someone that is an Internet/UUCP
gateway could send me a copy of their sendmail.cf.  The machine I'm
working with is a 3B2 running WIN/TCP.  I would appreciate any help I can
get with this.  Thank you.

---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---
      Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)382-1609
               6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
                UUCP: {fedeva,chromc,rutgers}!dynasys!jessea
 -> If rabbits feet are so lucky, what happened to the rabbit?
--
      Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)382-1609
               6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
                UUCP: {fedeva,chromc,rutgers}!dynasys!jessea

rcotl@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Tim Liddelow [The Mad Monk]) (05/22/91)

Could someone please send me (or tell me of) a BSD style domained
sendmail.cf for an internet site.  The one I have for a SUN SLC is
not good, needs quite a bit of work and time which I haven't got.

Thanks.
--
! Tim Liddelow  rcotl@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au| <insert standard disclaimer>      !
! Computer Science & Com Eng              | Jordan to Paxson...Paxson assists !