[comp.mail.sendmail] Removal of uunet.uu.net from your sendmail.cf

revell@uunet.uu.net (James R Revell Jr) (05/23/91)

Someone recently brought up using uunet.uu.net to handle mail they
apparently couldn't.  The use of uunet.uu.net as a general UUCP gateway
has also been mentioned in this group in the past.  While I won't
comment on whether folks should do this or not I would like to mention
something that many people that read this group should at least be
aware of now.

uunet.uu.net no longer is the main mail system at UUNET.

In fact, we'd like very much for it to not handle *any* mail.  A number of
you folks have hardwired the name into your cf's though and aren't ever
checking the MX records.  We'd really appreciate less of you doing this
[we also wish folks who hardwired our old class B address would use the
class C one].

If you check the MX records for uunet.uu.net you'll find that relay1.uu.net
is the preferred exchanger.  It's been this way months now.  uunet.uu.net
is third in a list of exchangers.  I expect it will be removed completely
in the near future.  uunet.uu.net is pretty much just for UUCP these days.

So if you're going to send the mail to UUNET please do a MX lookup or send
it to relay1.uu.net.
--
James Revell   sr uunet postmaster   <revell@uunet.uu.net>   /8^{~

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/24/91)

revell@uunet.uu.net (James R Revell Jr) writes:
>Someone recently brought up using uunet.uu.net to handle mail they
>apparently couldn't.  The use of uunet.uu.net as a general UUCP gateway
>has also been mentioned ...
>
>uunet.uu.net no longer is the main mail system at UUNET.
>In fact, we'd like very much for it to not handle *any* mail.

Better tell this to SCO.  They ship a sendmail.cf file with SCO Unix
3.2.2 which explicitly names uunet.uu.net as a major relay.

-rich