[net.games.trivia] F. Leghorn

boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) (10/30/85)

> I will drink a toast in
> very good whiskey to anyone who knows who Foghorn is indeed
> based on.

Isn't he based on a real senator back in the 40's named
Cleghorn?  He was from the south and sounded a lot like
the big chicken.
--

		Patricia Boren
		decvax!randvax!boren

rose@Shasta.ARPA (11/04/85)

In article <2766@randvax.UUCP> boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) writes:

>> I will drink a toast in
>> very good whiskey to anyone who knows who Foghorn is indeed
>> based on.
>

>Isn't he based on a real senator back in the 40's named
>Cleghorn?  He was from the south and sounded a lot like
>the big chicken.

No, there was not a REAL senator back in the 40's named Cleghorn, but
there was a character on Fred Allen's radio show ("Allen's Alley") in
the 40's named Claghorn, I beleive, who was a Southern senator; this is the
character Foghorn Leghorn was based on.  The show featured an odd
assortment of regulars, but I can't remember any more of their names.

-- David.	(rose@su-shasta.arpa)