[comp.mail.sendmail] NIS Aliases being ignored

mrl@uai.com (Mark R. Ludwig) (05/23/91)

[Please note cross-posting and followup, as I believe this is a
problem unique to SMI incarnations of sendmail.]

Configuration:

	Sun-4/260
	SunOS 4.1[.0?]
	Vanilla sendmail (not .mx)
	Modified sendmail.main

I have been unable to get sendmail to honor the NIS aliases.  NIS is
working fine, in general (ypcat, et al.).  These same aliases *are*
working on Ultrix.  In the CF, I see /etc/aliases referenced
explicitely.  I also see a reference to mail.aliases in the ddn mailer
having to do with reversing the aliases; our mail never uses the ddn
mailer, so I assume this does not affect me.  I see no other reference
to the NIS aliases.

I would *gladly* RTFM.  I don't have a current one.  As I recall, this
problem existed back when my manual was current, and I was unable to
find anything which enabled the then-YP aliases.  I have not seen any
change with SunOS4.  I would greatly appreciate it if some kind soul
would clue me in to whatever incantation I need to install in order to
get this to work.  I am relatively fluent with the CF, so don't be
afraid to get technical.

My changes to the CF have been to send all mail not recognized as
being destined for a host in our domain out via UUCP to a mail relay.$$
--
INET: mrl@uai.com       UUCP: uunet!uaisun4!mrl       PSTN: +1 213 822 4422
USPS: 7740 West Manchester Boulevard, Suite 208, Playa del Rey, CA  90293

rd@zildjian.chorus.fr (Roland Dirlewanger) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.220010.7695@uai.com>, mrl@uai.com (Mark R. Ludwig) writes:

%%
%% Configuration:
%%
%% 	Sun-4/260
%% 	SunOS 4.1[.0?]
%% 	Vanilla sendmail (not .mx)
%% 	Modified sendmail.main
%%
%% I have been unable to get sendmail to honor the NIS aliases.  NIS is
%% working fine, in general (ypcat, et al.).  These same aliases *are*
%% working on Ultrix.

There's a feature(?) introduced in SunOS 4.1's sendmail: aliasing is
always turned off if the mail spool directory (/var/spool/mail) is
NFS mounted, no matter if the aliases are handled by NIS or not.

May be that's the problem. Unfortunately, I see no simple way to fix it.

--
Roland Dirlewanger				E-mail:	rd@chorus.fr
Chorus systemes					Phone:	+33 1 30 64 82 85

mrl@uai.com (Mark R. Ludwig) (05/24/91)

In article <10797@chorus.fr>, rd@zildjian (Roland Dirlewanger) writes:
>In article <1991May22.220010.7695@uai.com>, I wrote:
>%% I have been unable to get sendmail to honor the NIS aliases.  NIS is
>%% working fine, in general (ypcat, et al.).  These same aliases *are*
>%% working on Ultrix.
>
>There's a feature(?) introduced in SunOS 4.1's sendmail: aliasing is
>always turned off if the mail spool directory (/var/spool/mail) is
>NFS mounted, no matter if the aliases are handled by NIS or not.

No, sendmail is not playing with NFS.  However, you've indirectly
answered a question I hadn't yet posed to the net about putting the
mail spool on an NFS partition.  In thinking about it, avoiding
aliases in such an environment is *probably* the correct thing to do.$$