[comp.mail.sendmail] binary mail

schultz@halley.est.3m.com (John C. Schultz) (05/24/91)

I am looking for any suggestions people have about e-mailing binary
files from/to UNIX (sun, hp, dec, etc.).

uuencode/decode is not an acceptable solution.

I wonder if something like a e-mail front-end for ftp is available?

I would appreciate any suggestions, and can summarize if there is any
interest.

My apologies if this is a Frequently Asked Question since I just
started reading this group.

Thanks.
--
John C. Schultz                    EMAIL: schultz@halley.serc.3m.com
3M Company,  Building 518-01-1     WRK: +1 (612) 733-4047

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (05/26/91)

schultz@halley.est.3m.com (John C. Schultz) writes:

> I am looking for any suggestions people have about e-mailing binary
> files from/to UNIX (sun, hp, dec, etc.).

I have been running a DOS-based BBS (which I wrote) for about 5
years which has binary mail. Now I've changed over to a DOS-based
system (WAFFLE) that links to USENET, etc. but hasn't binary mail
so I keep the old system running for those who use it. I'm in the
middle of moving on to UNIX and binary mail will implement binary
mail so I can do away with the other two systems.

For mail between two users on the local system, I will use a sh
script that will let people put mail in their home directory with
sx, sy, sz or, as an option, put it in somebody elses's home
directory.  For mail between somebody on the local system and a
remote system, the script will uuencode it and send it as mail.
Not very complicated, except that I have to write a program to get
the BBS's (binary) password list into a form I could use in a script.

> uuencode/decode is not an acceptable solution.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. If you are going to
send the information over the network, it *has* to be put into
7-bit printable ASCII as some links don't accept->forward 8 bits.
However, you may mean that you don't want the people on the
receiving end to have to fiddle about with uudecoding the mail.

As far as I know, there is nothing one can do about this but
install something on the receiving end that will do the job, which
means you need the cooperation of the sysadm on the receiving
machine.

My idea for a UNIX-based receiving machine is to have a
b-mailer-daemon that receives the mail, uudecodes it, and puts it
in the appropriate place. No clear idea on how to do a DOS-based
receiving machine except to modify whatever receives it....

I've been thinking about this for a long time as many of the people
use my system to send Japanese in 8-bit SHIFT-JIS. Once you can
do that, it's that all that difficult to change the format so
what gets sent is a file, instead of something with headers and
then the body.

Cheers!

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.