[net.games.trivia] Jeannies sister's name and a Question

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (10/22/85)

In article <369@hlwpb.UUCP>, smq@hlwpb.UUCP (SM Queriolo) writes:
> Having asked this question about two years ago, I now have the
> official answer (and some references somewhere):
>
> Jeannie's sister (and in fact all female jeannies) are named
> Jeannie.

	According to that wonderful movie on Sunday, October 20,
Jeanie's sister's name was Jeanie.

rhoads@oasys.UUCP (10/26/85)

> > Jeannie's sister (and in fact all female jeannies) are named
> > Jeannie.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to IDOJ, as reiterated in the movie, there is no such thing as
a MALE "jeannie".  Actually, it is spelled GENIE, prounced with either a
hard or a soft first e, and a hard second e. A male of the species is a
JINN (at least according to the movie), although my Webster's defines
GENIE as JINN. Anyway, this brings up an interesting point:  In addition
to the other obvious sexist overtones of the show, it seems especially
sexist that all Genii are named Jeannie whereas JINN are called by different
names (e.g. Haji, "the head of all the Jinn").  Anybody know if there is
any reference to this in Muslim demonology?

--

Rhoads Hollowell    {hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires![oasys!]rhoads

"I knew I shoulda made dat left turn at Alburqurque!!"
					--B. Bunny

dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) (11/01/85)

> > > Jeannie's sister (and in fact all female jeannies) are named
> > > Jeannie.
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> According to IDOJ, as reiterated in the movie, there is no such thing as
> a MALE "jeannie".  Actually, it is spelled GENIE, prounced with either a

Actually it is spelled jinni and jinn (Originally djinni and djinn).

The show is not terribly reliable.

There is the BLUE DJINN and the GREEN DJINN, etc.

I think 1001 Arabian Nights would be a good source for Djinni stuff.

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (11/05/85)

>There is the BLUE DJINN and the GREEN DJINN, etc.

Yeah, I used to wear blue djinns all the time (=:
		(NO.. NO.... Not in the bottle again!)