[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail stdout on ESIX V.3.2

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (05/27/91)

I posted this question to comp.unix.sysv386 a few weeks ago, but
got no responses and thought I'd try this group.

ESIX V.3.2, Rev. D., sendmail generates a message to stdout
whenever anything pipes to it:  sfgets: End of File (feof) ....

This happens with elm, nn's e-mail reply to posting (uurec?), and
other packages, including some of ESIX's own utilities, such as
cron stdout/stderr when it's mailed.

Despite this being an ESIX problem, Everex tech support has no answer
for this.  Presumably, they are more interested in their V.4 release.

In some cases, this message--which I presume to be a normal message
that should not be being sent to stdout--results in bizarre stuff.
For example, when you attempt to reply via e-mail to a netnews
posting from within 'nn' your reply is *returned* as being a failed
message; it is also saved in dead.letter;  nevertheless it *DOES*
get mailed out to the addressee!  A mite confusing.

Has anyone fixed this?  Is smail3 the answer?  Thanks.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

marten@tpki.toppoint.de (Marten Feldtmann) (05/31/91)

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

>In some cases, this message--which I presume to be a normal message
>that should not be being sent to stdout--results in bizarre stuff.
>For example, when you attempt to reply via e-mail to a netnews
>posting from within 'nn' your reply is *returned* as being a failed
>message; it is also saved in dead.letter;  nevertheless it *DOES*
>get mailed out to the addressee!  A mite confusing.

>Has anyone fixed this?  Is smail3 the answer?  Thanks.

I had the same problem -- one can fix it by changing the aux-Shell of nn.
search there for the call of sendmail and redirect the output to /dev/null.
aux thinks, that EVERY output off sendmail is caused by an error.....

To fix this problem with the elm, one has to change the sources of elm.
Redirect the output of sendmail to /dev/null....

 Marten

Marten Feldtmann	marten@tpki.toppoint.de
2300 Kiel		...!unido!tpki!marten