[comp.mail.sendmail] Listen on port 25 dies: problem solved?

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (05/31/91)

Last week I posted that the listen process for port 25 was dying for
uknown reasons using sendmail-5.65b+IDA-1.4.3.  I still don't know exactly
why this was happening, especially since ps -ef showed the daemon was still
active, just that netstat -a no longer showed a *.smtp LISTEN process. I
switched back to the vanilla 5.59 that came with WIN/TCP 3.0.1 on this machine
and it worked fine but I needed the pathalias stuff.  When comparing the .cf
files for the two versions, I noted that the load average (OX) parameter was
15 for the 5.59 version, but the .m4 file I used to create the 5.65b version
used a value of 7.  Increasing the value to 15 for 5.65b+IDA seems to allow
it to work.

Hope this can be of use to others who may have experienced similar troubles.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (06/01/91)

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:

>						When comparing the .cf
>files for the two versions, I noted that the load average (OX) parameter was
>15 for the 5.59 version, but the .m4 file I used to create the 5.65b version
>used a value of 7.  Increasing the value to 15 for 5.65b+IDA seems to allow
>it to work.

Does the displayed load average on your machine as shown by uptime agree
with what sendmail calculates using getloadavg()?  The latter can be
determined by using the -d3.1 flag, e.g., sendmail -bt -d3.1.  If you
normally have a busy machine, then the distributed values for Ox and OX
will need tweaking.  For instance our Convex C240 uses 20 for queueing
and 40 for rejecting connections.

Compiling with SETPROCTITLE defined will show what sendmail is up to
when checking with ps.

The getloadavg.c file has become the hairest portion of the sendmail code.
Unfortunately kernel diving is never neat.

/pbp
--
Paul Pomes, Computing Services Office
University of Illinois - Urbana