[comp.mail.sendmail] listen on port 25 dies

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (05/25/91)

I had been successfully using Sendmail5.65b+IDA-1.4.3 for a couple of months
with no noticble problems untill last Tues.  I suddenly started getting
errors like:

NOQUEUE: SYSERR:  getrequests: accept: I/O error

in syslog, shortly thereafter, the smtp daemon listening on port 25 would
disappear.  Outgoing mail was still working and the queue was being run as
scheduled.  Remotes attempting to connect to the smtp port are refused.
To keep incoming mail flowing, I've had to kill the daemon and
restart sendmail several times a day :-(  Right now I'm totally frustrated!
I don't think anything has changed on my system.  COuld what I'm seeing be
caused by problems with the Milnet-INternet routers?

Better post your replies, incoming mail isn't very reliable :-(
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30

In article <1991May24.211437.1861@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:
>I had been successfully using Sendmail5.65b+IDA-1.4.3 for a couple of months
>with no noticble problems untill last Tues.  I suddenly started getting
>errors like:
>
>NOQUEUE: SYSERR:  getrequests: accept: I/O error

  Have you tried rebooting?

  There is always the chance that you have a system networking bug
which shows up only after continuous running for a lengthy period.
At the least you need to eliminate this possibility before you look
for something else.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (06/05/91)

In article <1991May24.224734.6955@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>In article <1991May24.211437.1861@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:
>>I had been successfully using Sendmail5.65b+IDA-1.4.3 for a couple of months
>>with no noticble problems untill last Tues.  I suddenly started getting
>>errors like:
>>
>>NOQUEUE: SYSERR:  getrequests: accept: I/O error
>
>  Have you tried rebooting?

Sigh, yes.  It works for a short time (hours) then the listen process goes away.
I boosted Load Average (OX) from 7 to 15 and that kept it up for a week.
I've now gone back to WIN/TCP stock 5.59 and hacked sendmail.cf to forward
unkown .UUCP sites to relay1.uu.net.  I would prefer to use 5.65b+IDA if I
could keep it up.

>  There is always the chance that you have a system networking bug
>which shows up only after continuous running for a lengthy period.
>At the least you need to eliminate this possibility before you look
>for something else.

The major change has been taking on MX services for a domain and the gradual
addition of netbios file server and print server clients.  I've boosted the
number of TCP sessions and associated parameters in the kernel but that
didn't seem to help :-(