[comp.mail.sendmail] Help configuring sendmail in subdomain on NeXT cube

In article <172680@tiger.oxy.edu> prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) writes:
>I have since changed the hostname to the full domainname (cub.math.oxy.edu)
>and all of the above partially qualified addresses became fully qualified.
>However, this is not a good solution to this problem.

  You can always define $w to be the fully qualified name, early in
sendmail.cf

	Dwcub.math.oxy.edu

 Actually, if you have a 'sendmail.mx' you should probably be using that, in
which case you may not need the Dw line.

>To make matters worse, sending mail from bobcat.oxy.edu to cub.math.oxy.edu
>will bounce, giving the error message 'Cannot find hostname "cub" "." "math"
>in domain "oxy.edu".'  I can, however, send mail to both 'prophet@cub' and

  This is a sure sign the address is not being recognized as local.

>Several questions arise from my above ramblings:
>1) Why does sendmail look at my hostname instead of my domainname when
>    building the mail headers? (and the next logical question of how
>    to fix it...)

  It uses $j.  You defined $j to be $w which is your hostname.  If you make
$w your fully qualified hostname, and define $j after defining $w, this
problem will be resolved.

>2) Why does sendmail recognize user@cub.math.oxy.edu when mailed locally
>    (even though it mungs the address anyway) but doesn't recognize it when
>    mail comes through the SMTP port?

  Because you didn't kill and restart the daemon after changing sendmail.cf.
Your SMTP daemon is still running on the old configuration.

>3) Why does sendmail chop the To: line down to the domain of my machine when
>    sending mail to myself with a fully qualified address?

  Very likely there is a hostname lookup taking place.  If you use
	1.2.3.4		cub	cub.math.oxy.edu
you are telling it that 'cub' is the official name, and 'cub.math.oxy.edu'
is an alias.  If you go to a 'sendmail.mx' version, and have /etc/resolv.conf
pointing to a suitable nameserver, this problem will probably go away.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

prophet@oxy.edu (Dale Bruce LaFountain) (06/06/91)

I am administering a NeXT cube and a NeXTstation for our math department.
Recently, our Computer Center made a subdomain for all present and future
math department machines.  Since then, mail on these two machines has been
flaky at best.	The cube has been configured to be a mail server (for the
station).  Here are the symptoms:

Mail host: hostname cub, domain math.oxy.edu
Mail gateway: hostname gate, domain oxy.edu

I have added lines to ruleset 0 indicating that 'cub.math.oxy.edu',
'cub.oxy.edu','jaguar.oxy.edu', and 'jaguar.math.oxy.edu' should be
LOCAL, and I have defined my official hostname with 'Dj$w'.

Sending a mail message from jaguar.math.oxy.edu to bobcat.oxy.edu results in
the following message:

From prophet@cub Tue Jun  4 18:29:40 1991
From: prophet@cub
Subject: testing from jaguar
To: prophet@bobcat.oxy.edu
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 18:21:02 PDT

.
------

As you can see, the Return-Path only gives the hostname of the sender, as
does part of the Received line, the Message-Id, and the From: line.

I have since changed the hostname to the full domainname (cub.math.oxy.edu)
and all of the above partially qualified addresses became fully qualified.
However, this is not a good solution to this problem.

To make matters worse, sending mail from bobcat.oxy.edu to cub.math.oxy.edu
will bounce, giving the error message 'Cannot find hostname "cub" "." "math"
in domain "oxy.edu".'  I can, however, send mail to both 'prophet@cub' and
'prophet@cub.oxy.edu' successfully.

Sending mail to 'prophet@cub.math.oxy.edu' from cub itself also does
strange things.  The mail gets through, but the To: line is changed to read
'prophet@math.oxy.edu'.  The Return-Path is correctly set to <prophet>.

Several questions arise from my above ramblings:
1) Why does sendmail look at my hostname instead of my domainname when
    building the mail headers? (and the next logical question of how
    to fix it...)
2) Why does sendmail recognize user@cub.math.oxy.edu when mailed locally
    (even though it mungs the address anyway) but doesn't recognize it when
    mail comes through the SMTP port?
3) Why does sendmail chop the To: line down to the domain of my machine when
    sending mail to myself with a fully qualified address?

Assistance on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.  If you
read this after June 8 and wish to respond, please redirect that response
to paul@gate.oxy.edu, as I will be away for the summer after June 9.

Thanks in advance,

Dale LaFountain
System Administrator