[comp.mail.sendmail] Requeueing message

wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) (06/08/91)

I've an alias that is forwarded to an application. But sometimes it
fails, when there are too many processes already active, or when the
application detects an error condition.

On failure, the message is rejetcted and resent to the sender.
I'd wish that instead it is requeued for later retry.

Maybe there's nothing to do in the first case, but in the application,
is there a particular exit code I should use to indicate sendmail to
requeue the message?

BTW, how his smtp load handled, ie just after a crash it get back all
missed mailed from my nearest MXes, is the number of simultaneous
connections limited or is it just luck that I never get too much of them?

--
Christophe Wolfhugel    | Email: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA - Dpt Informatique | "Le progres ne vaut que s'il est partage par tous,"

In article <1991Jun08.064442.24146@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr> wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:

>Maybe there's nothing to do in the first case, but in the application,
>is there a particular exit code I should use to indicate sendmail to
>requeue the message?

 EX_OSERR or EX_TEMPFAIL (defined in sysexits.h) will both cause the
message to be requeued.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940