[comp.mail.sendmail] How to set Return-Path?

peter@atlas.abccomp.oz.au (Peter Barker) (06/14/91)

How do I set Return-Path: in my sendmail.cf? Our sendmail makes the return
path peter@atlas.abccomp, which is not sufficient for replying from
outside our local site. I have tried changing the entry in sendmail.cf
(appending .oz.au), but the message header is not affected. I have also
been unable to change the From line, although I can change the From: line.
Any help would be much appreciated, as I think a lot of our mail is bouncing,
unless people address according to my signature, which is a nuisance for
them.
--
Peter Barker               |   Internet   peter@atlas.abccomp.oz.au
TurboSoft Pty Ltd          |   JANET      peter%atlas.abccomp.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc

In article <1991Jun13.221355.12091@atlas.abccomp.oz.au> peter@atlas.abccomp.oz.au (Peter Barker) writes:
>How do I set Return-Path: in my sendmail.cf? Our sendmail makes the return
>path peter@atlas.abccomp, which is not sufficient for replying from
>outside our local site. I have tried changing the entry in sendmail.cf

  It is probably better to not use 'Return-Path:' in any mailer (usually
selected with the 'P' mailer flag) except the local and prog mailers.

>(appending .oz.au), but the message header is not affected. I have also
>been unable to change the From line, although I can change the From: line.

 Problems with both the envelope sender ('From ' line) and return path are
related to the value of $g.

 The actual processing is this:

  Start with the sender.  In our case, 'peter'.

  This is first processed by ruleset 3.  Next by ruleset 1.  Next by the
ruleset defined in the 'S=' operand of the mailer definition.  Finally by
ruleset 4.  The resulting value is assigned to $g.  Do some experimenting
with test mode (sendmail -bt) until you get it right.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940