[comp.mail.sendmail] uk-sendmail and SPAN

keith@earth.ox.ac.uk (Keith Refson) (06/11/91)

I have been unsuccessfully trying to send messages to the SPAN network
via uk.ac.span-relay.    The problem (after fixing a bug the unix-niftp
software which prevented us talking to it at all) is that the relay
requires addresses in VMSese

"site::user"@uk.ac.span-relay.

Sendmail is stripping the quotation marks from the `user'
which the relay requires to be quoted.  Thus all mail is bounced.  What is
peculiar is that the quotation marks are retained in the "To:" field, but
stripped from the JNT header.

Is there any way to get these quotation marks through sendmail?  Or
should I find another route to SPAN?  Any suggestions will be
gratefully received!

	Keith Refson
|	Keith   Refson			  |ROYAL MAIL:                     |
|-----------------------------------------|   Department of Earth Sciences |
| JANET   : keith@uk.ac.ox.earth          |   Parks Road                   |
| INTERNET: keith@earth.ox.ac.uk          |   Oxford OX1 3PR               |
| BITNET  : keith%uk.ac.ox.earth@ukacrl   |   UK                           |
| UUCP    : K.Refson@ed.uucp              |PHONE   : +44 865 272026/272016 |
|         : keith%uk.ac.ox.earth@ukc.uucp |FAX     : +44 865 272072        |

In article <7024.9106110946@rahman.earth.ox.ac.uk> keith@earth.ox.ac.uk (Keith Refson) writes:

>"site::user"@uk.ac.span-relay.
>
>Sendmail is stripping the quotation marks from the `user'

  Stripping of quotes is determined by the 's' flag on the mailer definition.
Normally this is needed on the local mailer and the prog mailer, but not on
any other mailer.  Unfortunately some people mistakenly put an 's' flag on
other mailers.

  In the sample .cf files distributed by Berkeley, the 's' flag appears only
in the local and prog mailers.  Regrettably, 'sendmail.main.cf' distributed
by Sun has the 's' flag set in ALL MAILERS.

  Unfortunately, fixing the flags in your own mailer definitions may not
solve your problem.  They will need to be fixed in all systems your message
traverses.

>which the relay requires to be quoted.  Thus all mail is bounced.  What is
>peculiar is that the quotation marks are retained in the "To:" field, but
>stripped from the JNT header.

  This is because the 's' flag only appears to the actual (i.e. envelope)
recipient addresses, and not to any addresses on the headers.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

n.margetic@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Nino Margetic) (06/13/91)

In <7024.9106110946@rahman.earth.ox.ac.uk> keith@earth.ox.ac.uk (Keith Refson) writes:

>I have been unsuccessfully trying to send messages to the SPAN network
>via uk.ac.span-relay.    The problem (after fixing a bug the unix-niftp
>software which prevented us talking to it at all) is that the relay
>requires addresses in VMSese

>"site::user"@uk.ac.span-relay.

>Sendmail is stripping the quotation marks from the `user'
>which the relay requires to be quoted.  Thus all mail is bounced.  What is
>peculiar is that the quotation marks are retained in the "To:" field, but
>stripped from the JNT header.

>Is there any way to get these quotation marks through sendmail?  Or
>should I find another route to SPAN?  Any suggestions will be
>gratefully received!

>	Keith Refson

**** Yup, I ran into the same problem a year ago. The only thing that
worked for me was the Internet->SPAN gateway in States - a machine at
NASA centre. Unfortunately, at the moment, I can't remember the address
of this particular machine, but it was listed in the E-Mail Guide for
Janet available by NIFTP from (I belive EARN-Relay).
Hope this helps.

--Nino
--
Janet: nino@uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph                    \    Nino Margetic
Earn/Bitnet: nino@mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk               \   Dept. of Medical Physics

rdunbar@tonka.gsfc.nasa.gov (Richard Dunbar) (06/19/91)

>**** Yup, I ran into the same problem a year ago. The only thing that
>worked for me was the Internet->SPAN gateway in States - a machine at
>NASA centre. Unfortunately, at the moment, I can't remember the address

user@host.span.nasa.gov should reach most NSI-DECNET (SPAN changed names).
nodes.

--rick d.		rdunbar@gsfc.nasa.gov