for adding the ^P and how to stop it?  It only appears to happen on the
From: address; none of the other headers are so affected.

--
Ryan Waldron ||| ryan@aladdin.b11.ingr.com ||| ...!uunet!ingr.com!waldronr

"You read me Shakespeare on the Rolling Thames, That Old River Poet
	 that never, ever ends.
 Our Thumping hearts hold the Ravens in, And keep the tower from tumbling." -KB

In article <1991Jun21.214155.8143@infonode.ingr.com> ryan@aladdin.b11.ingr.com writes:
>Intergraph 6505), the From: address gets a ^P appended to it betwixt here
>and there, so that the sendmail process on the mailhub does not recognize
>the address, and proceeds to try to fully qualify it, leaving us with
>
>user@host.dazixco.ingr.com^P.ingr.com
>
>, which is hardly useful.  Does anyone know where a spurious character like
>this can come from?  There are no strangely embedded characters in the
>/etc/sendmail.cf file on the machine in Boulder, and it is rewriting the
>addresses correctly.

  But there are LOTs of special characters in your 'sendmail.cf'.  Characters
such as $+ or $- or $* or $: etc.  These are all internally coded as single
characters.  Somewhere you have a rule with a misplaced operator.  According
to my sources, ^P is probably $* so you might look for a $* on the RHS of
a rewrite rule somewhere.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

ryan@aladdin.b11.ingr.com (Ryan Waldron) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun21.225332.12684@mp.cs.niu.edu>, rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun21.214155.8143@infonode.ingr.com> ryan@aladdin.b11.ingr.com writes:

|> >this can come from?  There are no strangely embedded characters in the
|> >/etc/sendmail.cf file on the machine in Boulder, and it is rewriting the
|> >addresses correctly.
|>
|>   But there are LOTs of special characters in your 'sendmail.cf'.  Characters
|> such as $+ or $- or $* or $: etc.  These are all internally coded as single
|> characters.  Somewhere you have a rule with a misplaced operator.  According
|> to my sources, ^P is probably $* so you might look for a $* on the RHS of
|> a rewrite rule somewhere.

Is this guy good, or what?  It was just as he said, and I fixed it right up.
Whew!  Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!