[net.games.trivia] Who said it?

pmd@cbsck.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) (11/06/85)

Famous sayings dept.:

Q:  Who is credited with the saying, "Eat, drink and be merry, for
    tomorrow you die"?
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbsck!pmd

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (11/07/85)

> Q:  Who is credited with the saying, "Eat, drink and be merry, for
>     tomorrow you die"?

According to Bartlett's Familiar Quotations:

....eat, drink and be merry.
		is from the bible, Luke 12:19

and:

Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we shall die.
		is also from the bible!!! Isaiah 22:13

Bartlett doesn't reference the form youasked for, or the form I always
thought was the right one:

Eat dringk and be merry for tomorrow we die.

It sounds like it might be from a Kipling poem to me.

silber@lasspvax.UUCP (Jeffrey Silber) (11/07/85)

In article <1480@cbsck.UUCP> pmd@cbsck.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) writes:
>Famous sayings dept.:
>
>Q:  Who is credited with the saying, "Eat, drink and be merry, for
>    tomorrow you die"?
>--
>
>Paul Dubuc 	cbsck!pmd

"Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we shall die" -Isaiah 22:13

-Jeffrey Silber
 Theory Center, Cornell University

tj@alliant.UUCP (Tom Jaskiewicz) (11/10/85)

>Q:  Who is credited with the saying, "Eat, drink and be merry, for
>    tomorrow you die"?

	Take your pick (from Oxford dict. of Quot.):

Then I commanded mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun,
than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry:  for that shall abide with him
of his labor the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.
	-- Ecclesiastes 8:15

And behold joy and gladness, slaying oxen, and killing sheep, eating flesh,
and drinking wine:  let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we shall die.
	-- Isaiah 22:13

And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years;
take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
	-- St. Luke 12:19

If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what
advantageth it me, if the dead rise not?  let us eat and drink; for tomorrow
we die.
	-- 1 Corinthians 15:32

uucp:  decvax!linus!alliant!tj, harpo!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!alliant!tj
Avoid unnecessary repetition.  Avoid unnecessary repetition.