[comp.mail.sendmail] Using "/" .forward override with external email?

ccdps@levels.sait.edu.au (06/27/91)

We are looking for a way of stopping a .forward file forwarding with a
switch in the username. Under VMS we can mail to _username, and the
message gets put into that person's mailbox regardless of what forwarding
has been set up. Sendmail has a "/" for a similar purpose, but it only
works for mail from the same system. If I want all mail to dan@kersnazzle
to be forwarded to dan@hupfoop and all mail to /dan@kersnazzle to stay at
kersnazzle, then its too bad because /dan is not a valid address for an
external user.

Has anyone come across a way of getting around this? It is possible to keep
two copies of everything by having the kersnazzle .forward containing
  dan@hupfoop
  /dan
but this is exceptionally messy.

Al ideas gratfully received - usual arrangement, email to me to save
bandwidth and I'll summarise.

Thanks,

--
 Dan Shearer                            email: Dan.Shearer@lux.sait.edu.au
 Computer Centre                        Phone: +61 8 343 3479

In article <16498.2869e514@levels.sait.edu.au> ccdps@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>We are looking for a way of stopping a .forward file forwarding with a
>switch in the username. Under VMS we can mail to _username, and the
>message gets put into that person's mailbox regardless of what forwarding
>has been set up. Sendmail has a "/" for a similar purpose, but it only

  I believe you meant "\".

>works for mail from the same system. If I want all mail to dan@kersnazzle

  Most users don't want their .forward overridden.

  Presumably an outside user could mail to \\dan@kersnazzle, although I
haven't verified this.

  If only one or two users want this arrangement, try adding something
like:

_.dan:	\dan

to your aliases database.

  If you wish to do this automatically for everybody, make an exact copy of
your local mailer definition in 'sendmail.cf', except change the name of
the mailer to say 'binmail'.  Then in ruleset 0, find the line
selecting the local mailer, which probably looks like:

	R$+		$#local$:$1

Just before this insert the rule:

	R_.$+		$#binmail$:$1

and you will bypass all the aliases and .forward lookup for an address
beginning with _.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (06/28/91)

In article <16498.2869e514@levels.sait.edu.au> ccdps@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
%works for mail from the same system. If I want all mail to dan@kersnazzle
%to be forwarded to dan@hupfoop and all mail to /dan@kersnazzle to stay at
%kersnazzle, then its too bad because /dan is not a valid address for an
%external user.

Look at filter - a part of the elm system.

---------
			Bruce
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #